System Requirements

Jul 1 at 1:12 PM
Forgive me if someone's already asked this, but I couldn't find anything relevant.

I'm a PhD student, and I want to use NodeXL for some network analysis. The problem is, my network consists of over 900 nodes and my laptop - a Dell Latitude E7250 with 16GB ram - isn't up to the job. I've approached the university for some help with better hardware, but they're asking me what specification I need. I'm already thinking a powerful graphics card with plenty of on-board memory will be essential, as it's the drawing of the graph that seems to be the biggest issue, but really I'm in the dark.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
Jul 1 at 2:36 PM

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

NodeXL should have no problem with 900 Nodes.

How many edges do you have?

RAM is the most valuable resource for NodeXL, followed by CPU.

We usually recommend a minimum of 8GB of RAM to handle 5-10K edges, and 16 or even 32 GB for much larger networks (we have handled up to 250K edges on a laptop with sufficient RAM).

If you can share your workbook, perhaps we can have a look?

Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 7/5/2016 at 7:03 PM
Jul 2 at 10:36 AM
I'd be happy to. Can I email you a link? I don't want to put it anywhere public as it's my research, obviously.

The problem is not so much calculating the metrics, but drawing (and redrawing) the resulting graph. I think I'm going to be loaned a new desktop in the short term, but I really need to know what specs to ask for.

Jul 2 at 3:19 PM
You can send us a file at

Jul 2 at 4:43 PM
It's done!
Jul 3 at 2:47 AM

There were only 897 nodes, but there were 174,401 edges!

I sent a version of the analysis to you directly.

Jul 7 at 12:01 PM
Thanks for all your help so far, Marc! The University are giving me access to a machine with 64MB RAM so I think I should be fine now.... However, because it's going to be on a different machine, I will need to transfer the licence (or cancel the licence I have, get a partial refund, and buy a new one). Can you help with this when I'm ready?
Jul 7 at 4:40 PM

You may run NodeXL Pro on any number of machines, but only one at a time.

The NodeXL Pro License Key file we send to you must be placed on any machine you would like to use to run NodeXL Pro.

Place the NodeXL Pro License Key file anywhere on the target machine's file system.

When NodeXL Pro opens, it will ask you to locate this License Key file. This will then authorize the use of NodeXL Pro on that machine.

When a machine is authorized for NodeXL Pro all other machines that are running NodeXL Pro are de-authorized. NodeXL Pro will not operate on these machines until one of them is re-authorized.

To re-authorize a machine, copy the ORIGINAL license file (the one attached to the license email) to the target machine. DO NOT use the license file from any other machine.

When a license file is authorized, the copy of the license file is imprinted with machine specific data that prevents it from running on any other machine.

Only the original license file can (re-)authorize a machine.

Hope that makes sense!

Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 7/7/2016 at 3:14 PM
Jul 7 at 4:46 PM
Ah, that's brilliant! Thank you.