Import from Outlook emails

May 31 at 5:01 PM
Good day,

I would like to use NodeXL to display email network. In NodeXL template, I click on Import, then Import from email, and nothing happens. I am using Windows 8.1 and Office 2013.

Do I need to install a plug-in or something? What's wrong?

Many thanks
Coordinator
May 31 at 6:50 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

NodeXL has an email importer that extracts From and To relationships from emails that are stored in the Windows Search Index.

If you have an email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc) and the email is stored locally on the Windows machine, then Windows Search will Index it.

NodeXL talks to the Windows Search Index to extract email relationship data.

If no email has been indexed into Windows Search then NodeXL will not get results.

If you have not yet downloaded and indexed your email, you can use an email client and import some or all of the email you would like to map.

When the email is downloaded, Windows Search will (usually) automatically index it.

When the Windows Search Index is updated with email, NodeXL's email importer should get results.

Regards,

Marc
Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 7/5/2016 at 7:07 PM
May 31 at 7:12 PM
Thanks very much for quick reply.

I am using Outlook 2013. Is there Windows Search for this version? I read somewhere it was not used by Outlook 2010 and higher.

Could you explain me how to proceed with Outlook 2013?

Many thanks
Coordinator
Jun 1 at 12:48 AM
Hello!

If Outlook 2013 is downloading your email and creating a local ".pst" file and if you can find emails when you search from the Windows Start menu, then it should just work!

Let's schedule a time to connect and troubleshoot your problem! You may way to screen share via Skype or try an application like Team Viewer 11.

Regards,

Marc