New Instal

Apr 1 at 8:33 PM
Edited Apr 1 at 8:36 PM
Hi NodeXL team,
My laptop broke down and meanwhile, I have installed NodeXL in another computer. However, I cannot run the program properly. Furthermore, I cannot even open my NodeXL files from previous imports.
If I try to open NodeXL, the following message appears:

Excel has found content that cannot be read in 'NodeXLGraph.xltx'. Would you like to recover the workbook content? If you trust this workbook's origen click yes.

Once I click yes, Excel opens but without the NodeXL extension. And the programs shows the following message:

Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content.

Part removed: /xl/comments1.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load error. Line 2, column 222.
Part removed: /xl/comments2.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load error. Line 2, column 222.
Part removed: /xl/comments3.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load error. Line 2, column 198.
Part removed: /xl/comments4.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load error. Line 2, column 198.
Part removed: /xl/comments5.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load error. Line 2, column 177.

On the other hand, if I try to open any NodeXL file that I have saved while I was using the other laptop, I get this message:

object reference not set to an object instance

************** Texto de la excepción **************
System.NullReferenceException: Referencia a objeto no establecida como instancia de un objeto.
en Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.ThisWorkbook.ThisWorkbook_Startup(Object sender, EventArgs e)
en Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel.WorkbookImpl.OnStartup()
en Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel.WorkbookImpl.WorkbookExtensionImpl.Microsoft.Office.Tools.EntryPoint.OnStartup()
en Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel.WorkbookBase.OnStartup()
en Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.ThisWorkbook.FinishInitialization()
en Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel.WorkbookBase.Microsoft.Office.Tools.EntryPoint.FinishInitialization()
en Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.ExecuteCustomization.ExecutePhase(ExecutionPhases executionPhases)
en Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.ExecuteCustomization.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Interop.IExecuteCustomization2.ExecuteEntryPoints()

I did not have any problem when I installed NodeXL in the first laptop. The only difference I can imagine so far is that I am running Excel 2007 and previously I had Excel 2010.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
Jose.
Coordinator
Apr 7 at 10:34 AM
Hello,

form the error message it looks like NodeXL can not access the license file. Please check if the license file is read-only (right-click -> Properties unchecked "Read-only" checkbox). If that is not the case, please try moving your license file somewhere which does not contain OS-sensitive data (you can use Downloads, Documents, or D: drive).

Regards,
Arber
Apr 7 at 11:04 AM
Hi arber,

After a couple of days, I have solved the issue.
Firs of all, I upgraded Microsoft Excel to the 2010 version. Secondly, I re-downloaded the license from the email sent by the Social Media Research Foundation and copied it in a new folder in my desktop.
NodeXL works perfectly fine now.

Thanks for your help!

Jose.