NodeXL Pro suddenly not working after update

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:14 PM
I'm in the middle of a research project that requires me to collect Twitter data daily - without missing a day - over a 4-5 month period.

I've upgraded to Pro a while back and have been able to collect my 3 searches daily consisting of about 20,000 Tweets each.

After collecting my 1st set of 20,000 Tweets this morning, NodeXL Pro attempted to upgrade itself - and now it doesn't work ... at ... all.

I've been able to uninstall NodeXL Pro and reinstall NodeXL Basic so that I can try to grind out the rest of my data collection today in increments of 2,000 tweets (20 searches instead of 2) - hopefully I can gather what I need to keep my project going.

Is there any reason why Pro would suddenly break after attempting an update? Is there a way to avoid these updates so that things don't randomly stop working?

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Sorry the update today has caused a problem.

Please contact me for troubleshooting - I think I can get you back in business.

Today's update is to repair the YouTube importers.

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:28 PM
No worries Marc and thank you. I just responded to your e-mail. I'll be out celebrating our son's 3rd birthday this evening but will be back in a few hours to try the reinstallation process. As long as I can get past this little bump then the daily data set will be intact! FWIW, I'm already giving NodeXL major props in the data collection section of my paper and dissertation. :)
Dec 2, 2015 at 5:36 PM
Edited Dec 2, 2015 at 5:40 PM

At about 2:34 on 12/1 (Eastern) NodeXL started returning an error message indicating a file was missing. Here's the upshot (not the full error message): System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Google.Apis.Core, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4b01fa6e34db77ab' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Google.Apis.Core, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4b01fa6e34db77ab'

Was there an update? I'm running NodeXL Pro on a Windows 7 Dell laptop, and given the end of the semester - yikes!

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:37 PM

we have had some reports that the last NodeXL Pro update doesn't work on some computers. We think that the reason is that the setup doesn't recognize some dependencies on computers with .NET framework 4.0. We will be releasing a new version in the next 2-3 days that will fix this problem for computers running .NET framework 4.0. In the meantime you could try installing .NET framework 4.5 and see if it fixes the problem

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:39 PM
Hello and thank you both for all your help. I installed the .NET framework 4.5 (replacing 4.0) and everything works perfectly again.

Seems to have done the trick.

Thank you!
Dec 3, 2015 at 1:23 PM
Yep. For me too - upgrading to .NET 4.5 brings back the lovely sight of NodeXL launching properly.

Thanks, arber, for your quick response.