Upset by irreversible Downgrade

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Hi Team Nodexl,

I was a proponent of this software. It was something relatively powerful and useful that I used once a month or so in my research and it was free!!!

I was very surprised today to find that I was suddenly unlicensed - for a free product that I downloaded! I find this behaviour extortionate. The only reason I used this software is because it was free - I used it for network analysis and it seems the function I used to use has now been elevated to the Pro version.

I use this in a corporate environment however purely for research assistance - I have no budget for this. I will not be using your software in the future. I cannot pay over $700 dollars for something I use so infrequently.

I understand that you have worked on this and feel that you need some kind of remuneration - but to do your cash grab like this is absurd. You cannot take an existing product, knock a pro tag on there and start charging people for using something that was free.

If I, as a loyal user was rewarded a free licence for a year, perhaps I would be more likely to recommend this product to my colleagues - however after this experience I will do the opposite.

I am sure that there will be many other disgruntled users out there - I am just letting my voice be heard so that you realize that your actions will upset some of your users.

Good Bye
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2015 at 3:47 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

NodeXL has been split into two versions: NodeXL Basic and NodeXL Pro.

NodeXL Basic is positioned as a browser for files created with NodeXL Pro.

In order to run NodeXL Basic, please uninstall NodeXL Pro. Then install the NodeXL Basic application from http://nodexl.codeplex.com

Some users have an issue that blocks reinstall of NodeXL Basic after the upgrade to NodeXL Pro. This issue can be resolved - please go to the following path before installing NodeXL Basic:

C:\Users[user_profile]\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0

You should see two folders: one named Data and another folder with a strange name, that is where old NodeXL is stored.

Please delete the folder with the strange name and try reinstalling NodeXL Basic.

You will be able to read any workbooks you have created in older versions of NodeXL in NodeXL Basic.

Creating new networks will require use of NodeXL Pro.

You can get NodeXL Pro and license it from http://nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Registration.aspx

We had hoped our donation support model would be sufficient to keep the project alive, but that did not turn out to be the case. By making the move to Pro, we hope to sustain the project for many years.

Regards,

Marc Smith
For Team NodeXL