Error 1001 Visual Studie 2010 can't be found

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:26 AM
I had been using NodeXL and when I went to upgrade the installation fails. I am told that Visual Studio 2010 can't be found. I found that at Microsoft, installed it, rebooted, and tried installing NODEXL again and the same error pops up. Any idea as to what to try?
Coordinator
Oct 15, 2015 at 12:18 PM
Hello,

NodeXL doesn't require Visual Studio to be installed. Can you please paste the complete error message so I can be of more help?

Regards,
Arber
Oct 17, 2015 at 12:33 PM
This is the exact error message

Error 1001. The Visual Studio Tools for Office installer was not found.
Coordinator
Oct 17, 2015 at 12:51 PM
Hello,

have you tried installing this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48217

Regards,
Arber
Oct 17, 2015 at 9:23 PM
yes, but that did not help. In fact the error message remained the same after I installed Visual Studio Tool
Arthur
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2015 at 4:41 PM
Hello Arthur,

are you on a Lab/office environment?

Regards,
Arber
Oct 19, 2015 at 6:33 PM
Arber,

I am working in an Office 2010 environment, Windows 7. It is also not clear that Visual Studio was properly installed. I am trying to check.

Arthur
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2015 at 6:53 PM
Hello Arthur,

maybe I was not clear...by Lab/Office I meant are you working at home or some place (lab or office) where your computer is part of a network. If this is the case then probably VSTO Runtime was not installed correctly because it needs Administrator rights and you should ask your network Administrator to install it for you.

Regards,
Arber
Oct 20, 2015 at 4:07 PM
Arber,
I wasn't sure if that is what you meant. I have been working at home, and at the office -but neither are PCs are part of a network environment. It also looks as if VSTO Runtime did not install. I say this because after I download the file, run it as administrator, I can find no traces of VSTO Runtime on my PC. And I still get the same Error 1001 that Visual Studio Tools was not found. Any ideas ? Especially since you initially noted that NODEXL did not use VSTO Runtime.
Thanks
Arthur
Coordinator
Oct 21, 2015 at 3:03 PM
Hello Arthur,

in the first post you said that Visual Studio 2010 was not found and indeed NodeXL doesn't need Visual Studio to run, BUT it needs Visual Studio Office Tools (VSTO) to run. Anyways, I am not able to find anything related to this error. Are you sure this is the exact message you are getting? Please make a screen shot of the error and send it to me (maybe you should use Google Drive or Dropbox or e-mail me at arberceni@smrfoundation.org because I think CodePlex doesn't allow images).

Regards,
Arber
Oct 21, 2015 at 8:48 PM
Arber,
I am sending you an e-mail with the screen shot.
Arthur
Oct 26, 2015 at 6:50 PM
Arber,
I tried re-installing from the link you provided, but I get a new error re inability to install. That is being sent in a separate e-mail so you can see the attachment. It is related to a deployment error with a vsto file.

"Store metadata 'DeplyomnentProviderUri" is not valid.
Coordinator
Oct 27, 2015 at 1:44 PM
Oct 28, 2015 at 1:27 AM
Arber,
I am on Windows 7. I could not find the program on Add/Remove, and could not find the APPS\2.0 folder. Plus I don't want to play with the registry. ANy other ideas?
Arthur
Coordinator
Oct 29, 2015 at 1:27 AM
Hello Arthur,

maybe it is hidden? I will search on the internet if I can find anything else. This is the first time I see this kind of error.

Regards,
Arber
Oct 30, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Thanks for taking the time to check this out. I really like NODEXL and would hate to stop using it.

Arthur

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2015 at 8:37 AM
Hi Arthur,

don't worry we will fix it, it just may take sometime as it is the first time I see this error and it may also be caused by a configuration in your system, I am not sure yet.

So is this folder (APPS\2.0 folder) hidden?

Regards,
Arber
Oct 31, 2015 at 7:07 PM
Arber,
Thanks. At this point I am curious and will check for the hidden folder when I return to NYC -and my desktop , after Nov 5th. Thanks for troubleshooting this.
Arthur
Nov 30, 2015 at 4:52 PM
Arber,
Nothing seems to work. I tried again today, and get a different error message -re Meta Data -Deployment Uri . Can we perhaps talk on Friday, December 4th?
Arthur
Nov 30, 2015 at 9:41 PM
Arber,
I am back from my travels and meetings. Would trying to resolve this on Friday, December 4th work for you?
Arthur
Dec 14, 2015 at 6:51 PM
Arber,
any chance of following up on this exchange. I'd like to try one more time before giving up on NODEXL basic.
Arthur
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Hello Arthur,

sorry for the late reply! I sent you an e-mail.

Regards,
Arber