RE: making sub group graphs of twitter data

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:52 AM
Edited Sep 22, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Hi, I am new to Nodexl. I have managed to create sub groups of twitter users but can't seem to find out how to make a graph of each sub group (e.g. if there are 12 subgroups) I assume you can make a graph of each group. I don't mean a graph for each individual twitter user. I worked that out.
Also how do I make a graph of a)top 10 # tags, b) top 10 tweets, c) top 10 followers etc.
Another issue, I am having is the twitter import function isn't bringing in the icon/photo of the user (is this because they have locked their twitter profile?).
thanks
Rose
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2015 at 4:34 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

NodeXL can create Groups in various ways. See NodeXL>Analysis>Groups>Group by [Vertex Attribute, Cluster, Connected Component].

A "Groups" worksheet is created to hold information about each group.

In the Groups worksheet the "Visibility" column controls the display of each group. To reveal the "Visibility" column you may need to select: NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns>Visual Properties.

You could turn off all groups but one by placing a "0" in the "Visibility" column of each group.

Changing which group gets a "1" will change which group is displayed in the graph pane.

You may also find the "Group-in-a-box" layout to be of interest. See NodeXL>Graph Pane>Layout Menu>Layout Options>Lay out each of the graph's groups in its own box.

You can also sort the Vertices worksheet by the attributes you mention (Followers, for example). Like Groups, Vertices have a "Visibility" column. Setting this cell value to "0" will make that vertex disappear.

Image file data are present in the Vertices worksheet. Is the "Image file" column populated in your data set?

If you do see valid URLs pointing to images, please confirm that the Vertex Shape option is set to "Image". This can be controlled manually via the Vertices worksheets "Shape" column, or via the NodeXL>Visual Properties>Autofill columns feature.

Feel free to write back if you need additional assistance.

Regards,

Marc
Oct 2, 2015 at 5:15 AM
Hello!
Thanks for the reply. I managed to use some of the suggestions above. I am still having difficulty grouping e.g, most common tweets, followers, followed into subgroups. I have gone through the graph gallery to see if someones existing formula might be useful to me, but can't find anything. I have also purchased the book but there seems to be some intuitive steps that I am missing out on. Any suggestions? Would it help if I posted a screen shot?
thanks,
Rose
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2015 at 7:48 AM
Perhaps we can connect 1:1? Try sending me a message through CodePlex with your email or Skype ID and a good time to connect - we can schedule a time to review your data.

Regards,

Marc