NodeXL - add worksheets that do not contain the graph pane (or turning it off on specific worksheets)

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:59 AM
Hi
I am new to NodeXL, so apologies if this is a dumb question.
I want to combine two spreadsheets, one of which does not need the graph pane on the sheets and the other, which does.
I cant find a way of either turning off the graph pane in an added worksheet or adding a worksheet without a pane automatically being added. I can physically shrink it by dragging the divider across but this is tedious.
Thanks
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2015 at 4:15 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

The Graph Pane in NodeXL can be turned off via the dismiss control in the upper right corner of the graph pane.

The Graph Pane can be turned back on via the Show or Refresh Graph button in the NodeXL>Graph menu section (the second section of the NodeXL menu from the left).

Please note that any worksheets you add to NodeXL should be moved to the last position after all of the worksheet NodeXL creates itself.

Combining two worksheets seems like a possibly error prone task. Can you describe your goals a bit more? Maybe we can help!

Regards,

Marc
Aug 30, 2015 at 5:42 PM
Hi Marc
Thanks for the fast response and for the offer of help. Don't know how I missed the "x" in the corner of the graph!

I am not really combining two spreadsheets, I am adding the functionality from another into the NodeXL one.
Let me try to explain
Firstly, this is probably not a traditional use of NodeXL.
I am trying to build a spreadsheet modelling tool to support me in my consultancy business.
We help customers understand how to simplify and automate their processes, and before that to understand the business outcomes and benefits they want from the transformation.
Typically we end up either drawing benefits maps or process maps on paper or using drawing tools such as Visio and capturing data on spreadsheets.

My current project is to build a simple excel based tool that does both and can capture

The process steps
The rules between the steps
The questions answered on each step, and the rules that go with each question.

and show the process steps visually.

We are working with a vendor that has a process tool that needs answers to these questions but when working with clients in workshops I don't want to use the system itself to capture the data, because that would be building the solution (also I want to be able to create a functional spec they can sign off - we have an agile approach but you have to be careful about scope creep if you use the actual development tool to define the customer requirements).
The vendor has supplied a simple spreadsheet they use to capture this data - I am trying to smarten it up and make it more effective.

So there will be additional worksheets that hold rule and question data, linked to the vertices and edges in the nodexl bit.

It seems to work OK so far. I have added more columns into the vertices sheet - a macro creates one (narrow) column per vertex defined in the rows in column one, giving a matrix which can be used to say which vertex should be connected to (by entering a value into the cell in the matrix that is the intersection between the two vertices, if you follow). Another macros then populates the edges sheet.
Right clicking on any cell in the matrix gives a custom menu item which pops up a form for rule and questions to be added (the data for which are stored in the additional sheets).

Comments welcome.!
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2015 at 5:53 PM
Hello!

Happy to hear NodeXL may be a part of your solution!

NodeXL will automatically populate the vertices worksheet with any new vertices that appear in new edges in the edges worksheet. This happens automatically when you show or refresh the graph.

You can also tell NodeXL to do this on demand via NodeXL>Data>Prepare Data>Get Vertices from Edges Worksheet.

So, perhaps you should avoid doing this manually?

I imagine your data as a collection edges, some of which carry vertex attributes.

I would try expressing the data in a flat file with the format:

Vertex1, Vertex2, Relationship Type, Relationship Date, Relationship Magnitude, Vertex1 Attribute, Vertex2 Attribute.

You could then allow NodeXL to import the new rows via the NodeXL>Data>Import>From Open Workbook feature.

Note, by default, NodeXL will wipe clean the workbook before importing new data. To prevent this, change the settings in the NodeXL>Data>Import>Import Options>[Uncheck] Clear the NodeXL workbook before the data is imported.

I hope this addresses your questions!

Feel free to follow up if I missed anything or you have other issues.

Regards.

Marc