AUTOFILL SIZE

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:36 AM

In NodeXL, on my screen, the Autofill menu overflows the window at the bottom.  Consequently, I can't access the three buttons on the bottom line.  I also can't move the Autofill menu sufficiently high to see the buttons, and therefore cannot access Autofill.  Is there any fix for this?  In my Settings, I keep the font larger than normal for visual purposes.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:29 AM

Ron:

The Autofill Columns dialog box is resizable, and its contents scroll if they don't fit the box.  It sounds like you can access the top edge of the dialog box, so all you need to do is drag down the top edge with the mouse to make the dialog box shorter, then drag the dialog box's colored title bar up to move the dialog box up the screen and make the buttons visible.  If that doesn't work, let me know.

By the way, although I write the NodeXL software on a standard 96 DPI machine (I'm the programmer), I always try to test everything on a large-font (120 DPI) machine as well, because there are many people who prefer that kind of setup.  If you find any large-font layout bugs that I've missed, please let me know.

Thanks,
   Tony

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Tony,

I’ve tried your suggestions.  While I’m able to get more of the Autofill Columns dialog box, it stops at Vertex Polar R at the bottom, and does not display the buttons.

RNK

Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:29 PM
To: Kostoff, Ronald N.
Subject: Re: AUTOFILL SIZE [NodeXL:64061]

Ron:

The Autofill Columns dialog box is resizable, and its contents scroll if they don't fit the box. It sounds like you can access the top edge of the dialog box, so all you need to do is drag down the top edge with the mouse to make the dialog box shorter, then drag the dialog box's colored title bar up to move the dialog box up the screen and make the buttons visible. If that doesn't work, let me know.

By the way, although I write the NodeXL software on a standard 96 DPI machine (I'm the programmer), I always try to test everything on a large-font (120 DPI) machine as well, because there are many people who prefer that kind of setup. If you find any large-font layout bugs that I've missed, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Ron:

I'm not sure I understand your situation yet.

Have you changed your machine's font settings since installing NodeXL, or has it always been set up for large-font?  I ask because there is a known bug in NodeXL in which it fails to automatically adjust its dialog box sizes after such a change.  If the answer is yes, please tell me whether you're running Vista or XP and I'll tell you the name of a file to delete to fix the problem.

-- Tony

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Tony,

I have not changed my machine’s font settings for months.

RNK

Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 12:16 PM

Ron:

I'm not sure I understand your situation yet.

Have you changed your machine's font settings since installing NodeXL, or has it always been set up for large-font? I ask because there is a known bug in NodeXL in which it fails to automatically adjust its dialog box sizes after such a change. If the answer is yes, please tell me whether you're running Vista or XP and I'll tell you the name of a file to delete to fix the problem.

-- Tony

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Ron:

I'm assuming that the top edge of the dialog box is visible, that the bottom edge is not visible (because it is below the bottom of the screen), and that Vertex Polar R is at the bottom of the screen.  If any of my assumptions are wrong, please correct me.

Can you drag down the top edge of the dialog box to make the dialog box shorter, and then drag the dialog box's colored title bar up to make more of the dialog box visible, and then repeat until the entire dialog box is visible?  If not, which step in this sequence doesn't work?

-- Tony

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Tony,

Here’s the problem.  I drag down the top edge of the dialog box.  It moves the box down as a unit; it doesn’t compress the box.  It truncates the box.  Then, when I drag the colored title bar up, it raises the truncated box.  If I then drag the bottom of the truncated box down to increase the box’s size, I’m back to where I started.

RNK

Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 1:11 PM

Ron:

I'm assuming that the top edge of the dialog box is visible, that the bottom edge is not visible (because it is below the bottom of the screen), and that Vertex Polar R is at the bottom of the screen. If any of my assumptions are wrong, please correct me.

Can you drag down the top edge of the dialog box to make the dialog box shorter, and then drag the dialog box's colored title bar up to make more of the dialog box visible, and then repeat until the entire dialog box is visible? If not, which step in this sequence doesn't work?

-- Tony

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Ron:

I'm stumped.  I know of no way that dragging down the top edge of a window (any window in any Windows program, not just the Autofill Columns dialog box in NodeXL) can move the window instead of resizing it.  Dragging the title bar moves a window, but dragging the top edge can only resize the window, assuming the window is resizable, and Autofill Columns is resizable.

Does any other window on your screen move instead of resize when you drag down its top edge?

-- Tony

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Is there any way you could share some screen shots of the problem?  That may clarify the issue.

Thanks!

Marc

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:04 AM

Ron:

Separately, I've sent you an email address where you can send me a screenshot of your entire screen if possible, including the Autofill Column dialog box.  If you're not sure how to send a screenshot, let me know.

-- Tony

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Tony,

I haven’t sent screenshots before.  What is the procedure?

RNK

Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 8:05 PM

Ron:

Separately, I've sent you an email address where you can send me a screenshot of your entire screen if possible, including the Autofill Column dialog box. If you're not sure how to send a screenshot, let me know.

-- Tony

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Ron:

Please see "How to Take a Screenshot in Microsoft Windows" at http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows.

-- Tony