NodeXL on Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:31 AM
Hello,

is it supported/working to install NodeXL for Excel 2007 on a Remote Desktop Server 2008 R2 so multiple users can use it?
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.

We have successfully run NodeXL in remote Windows VMs on Amazon EC2.

See: http://bit.ly/d52TCj - Free Amazon EC2 Windows instances for new users.

Regards,

Marc
Jun 11, 2015 at 12:54 PM
Hello Marc,

your scenario is ok and sounds good but i have to use a RDS Server, on earlier Windows OS version also called Terminal Server, where multiple users log on to the SAME time and work with NodeXL simultaneous. So that is the part i try to figure out.

So we do not only have a Windows Server OS, it should also be possible to the same instance multiple times. Hopefully this makes it more clear.
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2015 at 1:03 PM
Hello!

I think I understand more clearly. This use case has not yet been tested. However, I see no reason in NodeXL for it to fail. That said: good luck! Please let us know if you have success. If you have problems, also let us know, maybe we can help resolve the issue.

Regards,

Marc
Jun 11, 2015 at 1:42 PM
Hello Marc,

thanks again. Will do some testing and then reply here again.
Jun 17, 2015 at 10:56 AM
Hello,

we have done some further testing and during as the installation is complete saved to the user profile (c:\users\username\AppData\Local.........) the use on Remote Desktop Servers is not a good option. The installation that way has to be done for each single user to get the integration with Excel and use NodeXL. With roaming profiles and limited profile size you will also run into space problems as the installation from NodeXL in the user profile require up to 7 MB which is, with limited user profile space e.g. 30 MB, a lot.

Furthermore we run like others into the "Proxy-Problem". So without opening the proxy it was not possible to got NodeXL complete installed. The verification for the certificate included in the process requires access to a website that seems to be black listed from proxy vendors.

Therefore it would be great to have some information about used web addresses during the process. We where able to see that 15-20 public ip addresses where accessed during the installation part in our firewall when monitoring the installation without proxy server. But we didn't go deeper into the process and figured out which ip address was the one that was blocked from the proxy.