Is there Mac version?

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Would it be too hard to have a Mac version? I guess template is not that difficult to cross platform.

Please, I prefer to work on Mac. Is it possible to have Mac version?

Thanks to all the people devote themselves here.

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2009 at 2:06 PM

NodeXL is very dependent upon many layers of Microsoft technologies (.Net 3.5, C#, VSTO 2.0, Excel 2007) that do not exist on the Mac.  It is very unlikely that the project will be directly ported to Mac.

That said, I run my copy of NodeXL on a Mac using a virtual machine and running vista and office on top of OS X.  While this is not the most performant platform for NodeXL, it is perfectly acceptable for small to medium sized networks.

Regards,

Marc

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:46 AM

After trial, I found NodeXl is quite easy for SNA novice. It is too bad that we, as a Mac user, could not have such enjoyable operation experience, comparing with other very engineered-styled applications. It could save lots of time on recoding all the data, which we have on excel. I would give you 5 starts. Thanks for all the people make this happen in our miserable daily learned life. I REALLY appreciate. :-)

BTW, if there is no identical classes library on Mac, how can they make Mac Excel parallel to Win Excel. Does that means they have to maintain two totally different application? Wow! Steve is quite a good negotiator to persuade Bill to spend his money on Mac.

Thanks for your response. Have a nice day.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Hng:

I don't know how much code the Mac and PC versions of Excel have in common.  However, what makes NodeXL incompatible with the Mac isn't the basic Excel program, it's the layers of additional PC-only technology that NodeXL requires.  Those additional layers are not available on the Mac, and won't be anytime soon.

It is indeed unfortunate that we can't offer a version of NodeXL that runs natively on the Mac.

-- Tony