Subgraph Images

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Hi,

I'm a relative newbie to NodeXL, so forgive me if this is a simple question to answer.

When you create the Subgraph Images (I usually go for the defaults), can you actually create *real* graphs that look like these images?  When I try they don't appear to resemble them.  It would be great if you could just click on a subgraph image and it fires up the actual graph based on the vertex.  If this isn't possible, what are the steps to create the same graphs that are created by the subgraph image routine?

Many thanks, Dave.

Coordinator
Jun 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Dave -

Thank you for your interest in NodeXL!

Subgraph images are rendered in a "schematic" form but you can accomplish what you want using the Export menu "Export Selection to new NodeXL Workbook".  Using the right click menu select the "Select Subgraphs" when you click on a target node.  This will allow you to select a node and its neighbors out a specified number of steps.  This subgraph can then be pushed out into a workbook of its own.

I believe that sub-graphs that are written to individual images do render in the fully formatted layout, we keep the thumbnails simple to avoid "blobs".

I hope this helps, let us know if it works for you!

Regards,

Marc

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Hi Marc,

Thanks, that's great.  I understand now :)

Incidentally, do you know of any text mining tools that will export word co-occurences as vertices?  No worries if not.

Best regards, Dave.