Error during installation - build 88, failure downloading *.ExcelTemplate.vsto

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:37 AM

While running nodexl for the first time on a clean box (XP 64 bit), build 88, I got the following error:

Name:
From: file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto

Downloading file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto did not succeed.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException: Downloading file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto did not succeed. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'. ---> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)
   at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)
   at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseCallback(Object state)
   at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.GetManifests(TimeSpan timeout)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

thanks

--- Pierre

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Pierre:

Can you please look in the following folder and see what is there:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template

The folder contents should look like this:

BannerBitmap.bmp
Microsoft.GLEE.dll
Microsoft.NodeXL.Adapters.dll
Microsoft.NodeXL.Algorithms.dll
Microsoft.NodeXL.ApplicationUtil.dll
Microsoft.NodeXL.Control.Wpf.dll
Microsoft.NodeXL.Core.dll
Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.dll
Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.dll.manifest
Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto
Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplateSetupCustomActions.dll
Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplateSetupCustomActions.InstallState
Microsoft.NodeXL.Layouts.dll
Microsoft.NodeXL.Util.dll
Microsoft.NodeXL.Visualization.Wpf.dll
Microsoft.Research.WinFormsControls.dll
ReadMe.rtf
RegisterUser.exe

-- Tony

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I have all those files except Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto. And in addition to the list above, I also have Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate, with no .dll extension.

BUT - and I don't know if that matters - they're in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template

not

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM

I might know what's going on.  Does the failure occur when you attempt to open a NodeXL workbook that you created on a 32-bit machine?  If that's the case, then create a new NodeXL workbook (Start, Programs, Microsoft NodeXL, Excel Template).  In the Ribbon, select NodeXL, Data, Import, Convert Old Workbook, and use the Convert Old Workbook dialog box to create a copy of the 32-bit workbook and open the copy.

There is a known bug in which workbooks created on machine A can't be opened on machine B if the machines don't have the same NodeXL installation folder.

-- Tony

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:39 AM

Yes, that is what I'm doing BUT the prior problem is that Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto isn't being installed.  That means that I don't have nodexl at all on this box...

FWIW I tried removing and reinstalling the template, but with the same result...

thanks for your help, and a wonderful product

--- Pierre

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Pierre:

So the error message you posted on June 20 occurred when you attempted to open a NodeXL workbook that you created on a 32-bit machine.  Two more questions:

1.  Does the following menu item exist in Windows' Start Menu?  Start, Programs, Microsoft Node XL, Excel 2007 Template.

2.  If so, what error message do you get when you select that menu item?

Thanks,
    Tony

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Tony:

I think the problem is resolved - or more likely, never was there in the first place...

1. It exists

2. No error message; when I clicked on it, it did an installation of an unsigned customization.

I ended up in Excel with an open NodeXL template. I could create a graph, save it, and reopen. I was also able to import one of the old workbooks.

My earlier problem was that I couldn't figure out how to create a new nodexl file: when I go Office button / New, I only see the blank doc.  That's were the Nodexl template used to be.  I think it's been moved to New/My templates... right?

thanks
Pierre

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM
Edited Jun 29, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Pierre:

On your other machine, you were seeing the NodeXL template when you clicked Office Button / New because it was a "Recently Used Template."  On your new machine, the template hadn't been used yet and so it didn't appear where you were accustomed to seeing it.

The setup program puts the template in Office Button / New / My Templates, so you can always find it there.  You can also go through the Windows Start menu if that's more convenient.

-- Tony