NodeXL Tutorial draft available

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2009 at 3:27 AM

The NodeXL Tutorial by Derek Hansen, Ben Schneiderman, and Marc Smith introduces some of the core functionality of NodeXL using a few simple datasets. The current tutorial is based on an earlier version of NodeXL and will be updated in early June, 2009. It takes approximately 3-4 hours to go over in a classroom setting with students following along on their own machines. The tutorial relies on the following datasets, which are NodeXL files:

If you plan to use this tutorial in a classroom setting please contact Derek Hansen (dlhansen@umd.edu) who is keeping track of courses where NodeXL is being used. Feedback is welcomed.

An update is in progress that reflects the added features and revised UI elements now found in the current version.  While somewhat out of date, the current version can be a useful introduction to NodeXL.

-

Marc

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:18 PM

What is the version of these examples? They don't run on NodeXL v.85? This is my version. When I try to open them, it appears an error.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM

David:

I was able to download and open the three datasets in version 1.0.1.86, and I would expect them to work in version 1.0.1.85 as well.  Please tell me what the error message says when you try to open them.

-- Tony

Jun 10, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I try open them in v. 86 and I try again in v. 85, but both trials didn't work well. This is the error message:

Name:
From: file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto

Downloading file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto did not succeed.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException: Downloading file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto did not succeed. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'. ---> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)
   at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)
   at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseCallback(Object state)
   at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.GetManifests(TimeSpan timeout)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:18 PM

David:

Did you install NodeXL in a location other than its default location of "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template"?  There is a known bug that causes NodeXL to fail to open a workbook created on another machine if both machines don't have NodeXL installed in the same location.

I think you can work around the problem by opening the workbook using NodeXL, Data, Import, Convert Old Workbook.

(This is a difficult bug and getting NodeXL's setup program to work properly has been a big headache from the start, which is why the bug hasn't been fixed yet.)

-- Tony