Edge Label Visibility Solution to no Edge Tooltips

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:58 PM
There is an old thread where the idea of edge tooltips were floated and reasons why it is not provided. I think there are common scenarios where this is needed or else something that would fill the gap for its absence. The case I have is I want to show the main topics being discussed between two email address entities in a email network graph.

It is a pain to navigate between the the spreadsheet and the diagram to see these important terms. One solution would be to allow an edge label visibility to help with highly verbose edge labels. Another perhaps better approach is an additional feature to the document graph pane similar to the legend. This feature would have selected edge columns that are configured to show. For instance, I would show name 1, name 2, and important terms columns. This would be a surprisingly useful feature I believe.

Any thoughts on accomplishing this with the current product? Workarounds etc?
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2015 at 9:05 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.

There remain obstacles to providing every edge with its own tool tip.

However, may I suggest that you try using short edge labels?

These text strings run along the edge and when used on a limited number of edges can be a useful way to convey the content of a connect.

Regards,

Marc
Mar 3, 2015 at 1:05 PM
I'm thinking more and more about the Legend aspect of the graph panel. I think I would like to contribute to the project and create a separator and then to graph elements, Edge Info and Vertex Info. The default would be the vertex1 and vertex2 columns for edges and vertex column for vertices. Then there would be an optional configuration where you can select columns to appear from the edges and vertices worksheet respectively. The data in this panel would be in tabular format and show the chosen columns for currently selected edges or vertices. I personally think this would be a great addition and I suspect others would to. An info panel is not totally out of the ordinary.

I have to read up and figure out how to contribute to a codeplex project if in fact that can be done. But I do have plenty of WPF and C# experience.

I am going to try to implement this in a simple VBA form that responds to the row selects that are a result of graph vertex selections. I'm not sure if that will work well and it will definitely be more clunky. But better than nothing. I think the graph features as it now stands does a good job on providing quantitative measures of vertices but it is limited on the quick view information it provides on edges which are the essential elements of a graph.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2015 at 4:30 AM
Hello!

We welcome contributors and would be happy to schedule a time to connect.

Regards,

Marc
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:00 AM
I confess my motivation to contribute is personal. With that said, I do have a solution which I may refine more. I wrote some VBA such that if I create a table on the Edges sheet with columns that I am interested in and give it a particular name it will be updated with what is currently selected in the larger table. If anyone is interested I can provide the code.

The only problem was that I wanted this to be on a separate tab but the selection change event was not firing for the edges sheet unless that sheet was active. I'm going to try wiring up the event manually from the other sheet and see if that works. I also tried worksheet selection changed event at the workbook level and had same problem.

Another issue is when the selection does change it goes to the selection so I had to add a line of code that resets the focus so there is some flashing going on.

I've only played with it for half a day but I suspect there is a perfectly reasonable VBA solution to this. What I have no is sufficient so my motivation to contribute has dwindled somewhat. I may get familiar with the code more and see if I would like to take a stab at it and contact you. Also have to see how often I end up using the tool.

Thanks for the response and the great product. Very useful so far.