How to show group labels

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:55 PM
Hi,

I have ten groups (by vertex attribute) in my workbook. The "label" column is properly filled with the group name in the "Groups" worksheet, but the labels are no displayed in the graph. How can I configure NodeXL so that group labels are displayed in the graph?

Thank you very much for your help.

Thanks,
Jair Jr
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2015 at 5:24 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

NodeXL can place a label in each group.

See: NodeXL>Visual Properties>Autofill Columns>Groups>Label> [Select column to use to label the group] > Options [Select if you want the Group label prepended with the Group name]

The Group label font can be controlled from:

NodeXL Graph Pane>Graph Options>Other>Labels...>Group box labels>Font

To display Groups "In-a-box" the layout should be configured via the

NodeXL Graph Pane>Layout menu>Layout Options>[Select]"Lay out each of the group's groups in its own box"

Regards,

Marc
Mar 2, 2015 at 6:13 PM
Hi Marc,
Thank you very much for your answer.

I followed your instructions and I was able to display the group labels. Thank you for that.

However, I would also like to know if I can display graph groups as circles or other geometric figures instead of rectangles. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Jair Jr
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2015 at 6:33 PM
Hello!

NodeXL has several layouts that can be applied to network visualizations.

Select the layout to apply to your network from NodeXL>Graph Pane>Layout menu [this may be displaying the name of an existing layout, like Fruchterman-Reingold or Harel-Koren].

In addition to non-deterministic, algorithmic layouts, NodeXL has geometric, deterministic layouts like circle, grid, spiral and polar.

The feature that places groups in bounded regions is called: "Group-in-a-box" and is not (yet) able to provide "Group-in-a-circle (or triangle...)".

You might get a result closer to your goal by choosing an option in the "Group-in-a-box" layout:

See: NodeXL>Graph Pane>Layout menu>Layout options
Select: Lay out each of the graph's groups in its own box"
Box layout algorithm: [Select: Force Directed]

It is probably not an exact fit for your request, but I hope these steps help get you closer to your goal.

Regards,
Marc
Mar 2, 2015 at 6:57 PM
Hi Marc,

I know what you mean. Thank you for your help.

As I said before, in my graph, each group has its own color. Can NodeXL add a legend to the graph informing group names together with their corresponding colors?

Thanks,
Jair Jr
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2015 at 7:14 PM
Hello!

NodeXL does have a feature for displaying a legend.

See: NodeXL>Show/Hide>Graph Elements>Legend

However, the Legend feature currently displays only data about edges and vertices.

To create the legend that you describe, you might be able to select the NodeXL Groups worksheet and reveal the Group Color column.

See: NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns>Visual properties

You may be able to convert the color column into a cell filled with that color.

Then the list of Group names and colors would effectively be a legend.

Not perfect, but I hope that helps you towards your goal.

Regards,

Marc
Mar 3, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Hi Marc,

Thank you very much for your support. It's working now! :)

Thanks,
Jair Jr