GraphML File Javascript Error

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:30 PM
I have been working with NodeXL for 4 months now without a problem. My process is that I manually create small d-bases in it and export the GraphML file to Gephi.

Here is my problem: I am now getting a java script error message when importing it into Gephi that freezes up Gephi.

Here is the error message: java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.xml.stream.XMLStreamException: ParseError at[row,col];[136,26]Message: Character reference "&#

Java: Version 7 update 67

Does anyone know how to unravel this problem?
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Hello!

Thanks for the interest in NodeXL!

Perhaps some data in your data set contains the characters &# and this is a problem for Gephi?

One possible alternative is to render the data in NodeXL?

Or edit the input data file to remove the characters that Gephi does not like?

Regards,

Marc
Dec 19, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Marc.

This problem is odd because Gephi has been working fine importing GraphML files until now.

I did a search and I do not have characters &# in my data. Maybe there is a bug in the program.

For rendering the data in NodeXL it is just not as pretty and user friendly as Gephi. But, I might have to do it that way or design a work around.
Dec 22, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Marc:

I just solved the Java error message. It is a corruption that happened when converting the file to GraphML. Although the &# was not in my d-base, when opening the GraphML in notepad and searching I found 3 incidences where it occurred and where spaces where added.

Hope this will help others if this happens to them too.

China Blue