Need help re-formatting a matrix for use in NodeXL

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Hello all,

I'm new at this, so please bear with me. Right now, I have a matrix in excel with company names in column A and various memberships across row 1. If a company is a member, there is a 1; if not, a 0.

Company (1 Membership) (2 Membership) (3 Membership)
     A          1           0             1
     B          1           1             1
     C          1           0             0
     D          0           0             1
     E          0           1             0
     F          1           1             0
     G          0           1             1
Please note: this is simplified. I actually 15 possible memberships and 50 companies.

I'd like to see how different companies are related to each other through their memberships. So do I need to make a matrix for each membership, and show if a company is related to another one or not? Or is there a faster way to do this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

NodeXL can import matrix data. To do so, the matrix must be square.

In your data, that would require that the row and column headers be identical.

This means listing all companies AND organizations in a column and repeating the same order as row headers.

At the intersection of row and column you can enter a value to indicate the presence and strength of the connection.

This data is then imported via the NodeXL>Data>Import>From Open Matrix Workbook function.

An alternative representation of a network, which is prefered by NodeXL, is the Edge List.

In an Edge List there are only TWO vertices per row, Vertex1 and Vertex2.

Whenever a relationship exists between Vertex1 and Vertex2 an edge is written:
 Vertex1, Vertex2
To convey more information about the relationship and its participants, the Edge List can be expanded to include other attributes:
 Vertex1, Vertex2, Date or connections, Type or nature of connection (Relationship Type), Size or volume of connections (minutes, days, dollars, messages, etc), Attribute2 of Vertex1, Attributes of Vertex2
This data is then imported via the NodeXL>Data>Import>From Open Edge Workbook function.

Regards,

Marc