Filter to show reciprocal relationships only?

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Hello,

I am analysing a Twitter user network and would like to know whether NodeXL can be made to show only nodes/edges that indicate mutual follows.

Ideally, I would like to create a graph that shows only 'A follows B and B follows A' relationships, hiding or deleting the rest. But if I can clearly highlight and differentiate symmetrical relationships from others, that would be fine too.

I've added the Reciprocated? column from Graph Metrics, but am unsure how to proceed from here.

Many thanks,

Lawrence
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Hello and thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

For a directed network, in the NodeXL>Analysis>Graph Metrics dialog you can select "Edge Reciprocation".

This adds a "Reciprocated?" column in the Edges worksheet.

To set a rule for the display of edges you can use the Excel filter tools to suppress the display of edges that are not reciprocated.

Or you can create a rule in the "Visibility" column in the Edges worksheet (to display these columns use NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns>Visual Properties).

A formula that tests for the contents of the "Visibility" column can control the visibility of each edge:
 =IF([@[Reciprocated?]]="Yes",1,0)
This can also be accomplished with the NodeXL > Visual Properties > Autofill Columns > Vertices > Vertex Visibility > Options feature.

Regards,

Marc
Dec 1, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Thank you Marc for your prompt response - that's put me on the right track.

Lawrence