Deployment to multiple users, multiple user profiles

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I need to deploy the latest version of NodeXL to a large number of PCs in a student environment. The users are students and as such not trusted with installation and administration rights to the machines. They're all Windows 8.1 Enterprise on a 2012 Domain.

Is there a method I can silently deploy the software using GPO (msi) or similar such that the software is installed globally for all new user profiles that will log in.

Many thanks for any advice
Oct 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM

the new version of NodeXL Template is a ClickOnce setup technology and it can only be installed for the current user. For more information please refer to

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Edited Oct 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Thanks Arber, I saw that thread and hoped there was a newer solution or a known workaround.

I thought when the ClickOnce install replaced the unwieldy older installer things would be easier from my perspective, but they've actually become even harder.
The older package is not an option for us as it has issues with the current Twitter API (as per

Perhaps if I could install all the prerequisite packages via an existing deployment method (C++ libraries or whatever) then I would
just need to take the files installed to a single user and re-package those as something that can be installed to each new user's profile on login.

I could "watch" an installation by look at the before and after installation states of a machine to see what has changed and what files/registry settings
are made but maybe somebody could save me the hard work on that in explaining what has to be installed where - and in what order?

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Hello Graham,

you can try to manually install the prerequisites on the students' computers and then each student can try and run the ClickOnce installer. However they need to have rights to run the installer. The prerequisites are:

*Microsoft .NET Framework 4
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime
Thanks to Tony for the suggestion ;)

Hope this helps!

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:12 AM
I'll try that and see how it goes, many thanks for your help.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:42 PM
Just to say I never got this working because the host that serves the downloads area for also has some content (probably not even related to NodeXL)
which has been flagged as containing something malicious and thus blocked by our enterprise's automated malware protection. Our network guys have been reluctant to grant any exceptions so we've had to abandon using the latest NodeXL for now.

I'm fairly sure it would have worked for the user mode install, but I just wish there was an offline installer, preferably something that's easy to deploy like an msi. And easy to install as part of a image for mass deployment.

Maybe this could be added to a wishlist for future development.

Thanks for assistance anyway.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:11 AM

Here is some advice from our original developer:

"The problem he's reporting is that his network is preventing him from downloading anything from To work around that, just email him a copy of NodeXLExcelTemplate2014Setup.exe. That way he won't have to use at all. And running the setup program does not access anything else from, so that should fix the problem.

However, running NodeXLExcelTemplate2014Setup.exe does access another server, namely That's where the ClickOnce setup files are stored. If his network also prevents him from downloading anything from there, then he'll still have a problem."

Perhaps this will help? We are happy to email you a copy of the file.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Yes I already tried with NodeXLExcelTemplate2014Setup.exe as I have that, but as suggested - the problem is the setup obtaining files from It appears that is the problem download location, not