Save Image to File - Graph image is shifted relative to the Background image

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Dear NodeXL users and programmers,

Your assistance in the following will be much appreciated:

I use the Graph Options>Other to insert a background picture into the graph display (i.e. the Document Actions window).

Later, when I use the Save Image to File (even if set to The Size of the Graph Pane) I get and image file containing the background image and the graph BUT, they are shifted relative one to the other. This phenomenon repeats in all image formats.

Any idea how to resolve the problem?
Thanx
Coordinator
Oct 12, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Edited Oct 12, 2014 at 10:19 PM
I think the output resolution of the image and the resolution of the graph pane are not the same.

Can you check that you are saving your graph image with a fixed resolution that is the same as the resolution of the background image?

Regards,

Marc
Oct 12, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Thanks Marc,

Thanks for ur prompt response :)

I think u r correct in suspecting a mismatch of the resolutions, or to be more accurate - the pixel counts.
The background picture is 952 (H) x 543 (W) pixels.
The saved image size, when set to "The Size of the Graph Pane", is 904 (H) x 1028 (W).
Saving the graph image to a fixed size of 952x543 results in even more distorted graph images.

When I try to resize the Document Actions window (i.e. the Graph Pane), to fit the background image, it distorts the graph proportions. The graph seems to be synchronized to the window size even-though I locked the vertices.

is their a way to resize the window to the size of the background image without needing to manually realign all the vertices, one by one, with the background?
Coordinator
Oct 13, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I think you will need to be very careful to get the results you want.

You will need to size the window to fit the background image exactly.

You will need to size the image file output exactly to the size of the background image.

You will need to move each vertex to its proper location. Then lock them. Then set layout to none.

Then save the image.

That should get the results you want. This clearly could be better supported, but it has not (yet) been a high demand work item.

Regards,

Marc