Jul 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Can the loops be removed from around the isolates on the graph? If so, what is the procedure?

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Yes. On the Edges worksheet, enter this into the first cell of the Visibility column:

=IF([@[Vertex 1]]=[@[Vertex 2]], "Hide", "Show")

(If you don't see a Visibility column on the Edges worksheet, go to NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns in the ribbon and make sure that "Visual Properties" is checked.)

-- Tony
Jul 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your quick response.

The response I got was:

"The name you entered is not valid.

Reasons for this include:
  • the name does not begin with a letter or an underscore
  • the names contains a space or other invalid characters
  • the name conflicts with an Excel built-in name or the name of another object in the workbook”
I used cut and paste. Can you assist?

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Edited Jul 16, 2014 at 10:51 PM
It sounds like you're inadvertently pasting HTML instead of just plain text. Here is one way to fix that:

1) Copy this formula again:

2) Right-click the first cell of the Visibility column.

3) On the right-click menu, select "Paste Special."

4) In the Paste Special dialog box, select "Text" and click OK.

-- Tony
Jul 16, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Hi Tony,

What a pain. Followed your instructions and go this message:

“The cell G3 contains an invlaid visibility. Try selecting from the cell’s drop-down list instead.”

Do you have any other suggestions?

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:11 PM
You're going to have to do some detective work to figure out what's going wrong, because I can't figure it out from here.

Try building up the formula in stages. To start, type (don't paste) this into cell G3:

Does that work? If so, change cell G3 to this:

=IF(TRUE, "Hide", "Show")

Does that work? If so, change cell G3 to this:

Does that work? If so, you're done.

-- Tony
Jul 16, 2014 at 11:22 PM
One other thing: Make sure that cell G3 and the data cells below it are all formatted as "General". If they are formatted as "Text", you can get the error message you mentioned. Here are instructions for formatting cells:

-- Tony
Jul 20, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve changed the formating of the cell as suggested, then built the formula in stages which worked unitl the last formula...

I’m lost. I’ve followed the suggestions for formatting on the link but that’s not the problem. Is it the formula? I’ve tried removing brackets etc.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I bet we have different versions of Excel, and your (older) version doesn't recognize the formula syntax I gave you. I'm using Excel 2013.

Try this instead:

=IF([Vertex 1]=[Vertex 2], "Show", "Hide")

-- Tony