How to edit value options for WIDTH in EDGES Tab?

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Hello
I am new to the forum and the software but I love it so far..

As far as I can see, I can only enter a number between 1-10 to WIDTH under EDGES Tab. Can someone please tell me is it possible to edit WIDTH in such a way that I can also enter values greater than 10?

May the force be with you all! :)
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.

Any value can be mapped to the edge width size (which does have only 10 variable widths).

You can use the NodeXL>Visual Properties>Autofill Columns>Edges>Edge Width>[Select a column] to map a data value to a display value in NodeXL.

Regards,

-
Marc

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Marc, thank you so very much for your lightning-fast reply. I apologize if this was indeed a silly question.. It is just that I recently discovered the software and I have a very tight deadline coming for an academic presentation and I desperately asked the question out of panic without trying to find it on my own first.. Now thanks to your answer, I have a better understanding as to how and where search for stuff :)

may the force be with you
Jun 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Hello Marc,
may I ask a follow up question?

For some reason, when I follow the steps you provided, I cannot achieve the expected result.

In the edge width options I defined a new column with number values between 1 and 73. Then, in the Edge Width options, I mapped 1 to 1,0 and I mapped 73 to 10,0
As a result, any value between 10-73 had the same maximum thickness.

Then I tried to map the smallest number in the column to 1,0 and largest number in the column to 10,0 and nothing changed. The problem is a number value of 23 is displayed the same thickness as a number value of 73.

Can you please tell me how I should get around this problem?
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Edited Jun 9, 2014 at 6:10 PM
It should be possible to map a range of values to the 1-10 edge width values smoothly. Are you using the following dialog in the NodeXL>Autofill Columns>Edge Width Options?

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:17 PM
I am using the exact same dialog but for some reason, it is not working. Is there any chance I can email you a small sample and can you check what is wrong? I am on a very tight academic deadline and I have to sort this out tonight because I have to send a report tomorrow.
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM
Sure: send it my way.
Jun 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM
thank you so much..

I cannot see your email on your profile.. can you send me an empty email so that I can reply with the sample?

hursuoke@gmail.com