No option to "show graph"

May 28, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Hi there,

I'm trying to create some graphs, I've filled in the edges tab, as well as the vertices, but I do not have an option to show the graph. Autofill has populated some of the columns, so there is information there, but I'm not sure how to view the graph. It gives me an option to "refresh" but nothing happens when I click on it. I thought perhaps it was because I'm using Office 2013, but I managed to show the graph in a previous example. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
May 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM
If you can not see the graph, and you have the "refresh graph" button in the ribbon, NodeXL thinks you can see the graph. If you close the graph, the "refresh graph" button becomes the show "graph button".

I suspect if you were to load your previous example, that you may not see this either, now. Reinstalling NodeXL should return the "documents actions" work area to within the Excel main screen.

Also, you should not need to provide the verticies entries; use the prepare data -> get verticies from edges worksheet function. (Bottom left icon on NodeXL ribbon)

May 29, 2014 at 7:08 AM
Thanks Luke. It was the "document actions" that had disappeared. I closed the programme, reset the computer, and tried again, and it came up. Appreciate the response.
May 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM
If you ever close, or want to close the document actions window and then reopen it, you can do that through the 'View' ribbon of Excel. Sometimes I close the document actions window to conserve screen space for the workbook, and then I reopen it once I'm ready to visualize my network.
May 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Edited May 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM
As curtis_h pointed out, you can reopen a closed Document Actions window* using View, Show, Document Actions. You can also reopen it with NodeXL, Graph, Show Graph (or Refresh Graph). NodeXL always makes sure the Document Actions window is visible when you show the graph.

Nadia's original question makes me wonder if that wasn't happening for her. If anyone has clicked NodeXL, Graph, Show Graph and not seen the Document Actions window, please let me know. That would be a bug that I don't know about.

-- Tony

* The Document Actions window is known as the "graph pane" in NodeXL. Unfortunately, Excel doesn't allow programs like NodeXL to give the window a new title, so we're left with two names for the same thing.
May 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM
@tcap479, that is exactly what was happening - the Document Actions window was not visible even when I clicked "refresh graph" from the toolbar at the top.
May 31, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Hello, Nadia:

I'm trying to figure out how that happens. So far I haven't been able to get it to occur on my computer. (I'm the NodeXL programmer.)

Do you remember if you had dragged the graph pane out of the Excel window before it disappeared? Or had you closed the graph pane by clicking the "X" in its upper-right corner?

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM
Hi Tony,

I don't remember closing the pane or dragging it away, although I cannot say with 100% certainty that I didn't. What I can tell you is I sent the document to someone else and they could not find the Document Actions window either. Once I reset the programme it worked, but both of us had no Document Actions window on either of our computers. I'm not sure whether that helps you at all?

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Thank you, Nadia. That is useful information.

-- Tony