size = prestige or degree of influence?

May 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Two part question: (i) I was wondering what does 'size' represent in the vertices tab? Is it what called 'prestige' or 'rank' or 'degree of influence?' Couldn't find about it on the book on NodeXL or elsewhere; and (ii) where could I find the computational formula for 'size?' Thanks for help.
May 16, 2014 at 7:51 PM
The Size column on the Vertices worksheet simply determines the size of the vertices in the graph pane when you show the graph. It is not tied directly to prestige, rank, or anything else.

You can enter a number into a Size cell that is between 1 and 1,000. If you leave the Size column empty, NodeXL uses a Size value of 1.5 by default.

If you have a numerical column on the Vertices worksheet that does represent prestige, rank or something else, then you can tell NodeXL to fill in the Size values automatically, based on the values in that numerical column. The result will be that the vertices in the graph pane will be sized proportional to your numbers. For information on how to do this, go to NodeXL, Help, Help in the Excel ribbon and search for the "Automatically Calculating Visual Properties for All Edges, Vertices or Groups" topic.

-- Tony
May 18, 2014 at 5:12 AM
Hi Tony - thank you! I hope I can figure it out! Hope you'd not mind if I contact again re this - thanks in advance!
May 18, 2014 at 5:34 AM
Hi Tony - sorry to bother you again because I was unable to accomplish what I wanted, which is compute a actor degree prestige (Wasserman and Faust, 1994; p.202) which reflects an actor's (i.e., a node's) "popularity" within the group (I searched for 'prestige' or 'rank' in NodeXL but was unable to find either). So, could you please provide a step-by-step guide on how to use NodeXL to compute prestige or popularity of a vertex (or node or actor)? Thank you very much!
Coordinator
May 18, 2014 at 5:44 AM
NodeXL does not calculate prestige or rank but it does calculate degree, in-degree, out-degree, and several centrality measures.

Perhaps some of these metrics will meet your need as a proxy for "popularity"?

Regards,

Marc
May 18, 2014 at 6:41 AM
Dear Marc,
Thank you for the quick response - appreciate it. Well, those centrality measure sure do help - no doubt about that. My plan was/is to follow Wasserman and Faust (1994) to find a 'prestige' or 'popularity' index. Now I'm wondering if I could compute it using the authors' formula in NodeXL; could I write to you if my attempt fails? I'll provide details. Thank you again!
-Sanjib