NodeXL installation fails, but works fine.

May 5, 2014 at 6:47 AM
I can't install NodeXL, but works fine.
After I clicked NodeXLExcelTemplate2014Setup.exe (file size: 798KB) , it said that "The value of the property 'type' cannot be parsed. The Error is: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.BusinessApplications.Fba, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=...' or one of its dependencies. The System cannot find the file specified. (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\VSTO\10.0\VSTOInstaller.exe.Config line 10).
I've installed .NET Framework 4.5 and VSTO 2010, with 64 bit Office 2013, Win 7, but just can't install the latest NodeXL. What's wrong? Many Thanks.
May 6, 2014 at 3:26 AM

I had that happen to me once. In my case, the sequence was this:

1) I started the NodeXL setup program, and it seemed to be taking too long.

2) Not wanting to sit around until August, I hit the Cancel button.

3) I started the setup program again.

4) I got the "Microsoft.Office.BusinessApplications.Fba" message that you got.

Could the same thing have happened in your case?

Regardless, please try this:

1) Clear your browser cache. In my case, there was a partial download of NodeXL stuff that was gumming up the works, and I had to clear it out before the setup program would work again. Instructions are at .

2) Try the NodeXL setup program again.

-- Tony
May 6, 2014 at 3:39 AM
I omitted an important point: The browser cache you have to clear is the one in Internet Explorer. That's true even if Internet Explorer isn't your normal browser.

-- Tony
May 7, 2014 at 2:12 AM
Tony, thanks for your reply!

I cleared my IE cache, and started NodeXL setup program, again, I got that message...
The size of the setup .exe file I downloaded (from Chrome) is 798KB. Is it because of an incomplete file or incorrect settings in my computer ?

(I checked that the unzipped file of NodeXL was 10MB, Why so different in file size?)
(I've installed .NET Framework 4.5 and VSTO 2010, with 64 bit Office 2013, Win 7.)

Looking forward to your answer.

P.S. My case is : after starting the setup program, it didn't take long to run and that message popped up...
May 8, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Please try this:
  1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\VSTO\10.0.
  2. In that folder, you should find a file named VSTOInstaller.exe.config. Rename it to VSTOInstaller.exe.config.old. (Ignore the warning from Windows about the file becoming unusable.)
  3. Run NodeXLExcelTemplate2014Setup.exe again.
Does that fix it?

-- Tony

May 8, 2014 at 12:23 AM

The old NodeXL files were 10 MB because they were a complete, self-contained package. The new NodeXLExcelTemplate2014Setup.exe file is much smaller because it's just a "starter" program that downloads a bunch of other stuff after it gets going.

-- Tony
Sep 30, 2014 at 7:34 PM
I faced a similar error as those described above. Renaming VSTOInstaller.exe.config did not work for me. However, I solved the problem by right-clicking on NodeXLExcelTemplate2014Setup.exe and selecting "Run as administrator..."
Jan 18, 2015 at 11:49 PM
I initially struck the same error as Jessica. I was able to get it working by following MarcSmith's instructions above, with one variation. On my machine I navigated to the folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft shared\VSTO\10.0

I suspect this is due to me having Excel 32-bit installed.
Mar 12, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Right-clicking on NodeXLExcelTemplate2014Setup.exe and selecting "Run as Administrator" did the trick for me. Thanks @edgelist for the suggestion!