No NodeXL tab with 64-bit Excel

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:15 PM
[Moved from elraidor's post at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/542986 -- Tony]

Hmm - anybody tried NodelXL 2014 template with 64bit Excel? The install runs OK, says it has installed, but the nodeXL tab does not appear in the ribbon and NodeXL does not appear in the Start-Programs list. Any ideas where to start looking
Apr 24, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Mike:

Yes, I've installed it with 64-bit Excel many times, so as far as I know, there is no general problem with that.

The NodeXL tab won't appear in the ribbon unless you start NodeXL from the Start Menu (or Start Screen in Windows 8), so the real problem is that you can't start NodeXL. Are you searching for "NodeXL in the Start Menu? You should just be able to open the Start Menu and type "NodeXL", and "NodeXL Excel Template" should appear at the top of the search results.

Also, are you attempting to start NodeXL from the same user account that you used to install NodeXL?

-- Tony
Apr 24, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Also, you said you were using 32-bit Excel before, and now you're using 64-bit Excel. Is this all on the same computer, or did you start with 64-bit Excel on a new computer? If you install NodeXL, then, uninstall 32-bit Excel, and then install 64-bit Excel all on the same computer, I don't know what effect that would have on NodeXL. I would uninstall and reinstall NodeXL in that case.

-- Tony
Apr 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Thx Tony - I'll uninstall everything and start again to check everything happened int eh right order. Let me try a few things over the next few days and report back

Mike
May 7, 2014 at 6:44 PM
Edited May 7, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Hi Tony

I got NodeXL running with 64bit Excel but only the 1.01.251 version , couldn't get the tab to appear with the later versions. It ran for about 2 weeks gathering the network , appeared to be OK, prompted me to import and then threw the following error. Any ideas?

May 8, 2014 at 12:44 AM
Edited May 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Oh, no...

If the program was running for two weeks, it must have collected a huge network, and NodeXL often deals poorly with huge networks. Sometimes it runs out of memory, and sometimes it ends up spitting out ugly, mysterious messages from Excel like the one you posted above.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I wish I had known your plans so I could have warned you against trying this.

For anyone else reading this, here are a few warnings:
  1. NodeXL was not designed for huge networks. It would be nice if it were robust enough to handle whatever you could throw at it, but that's difficult to do and we haven't devoted our resources in that direction. Our claim to fame is ease of use with small- to medium-size networks, meaning a few thousand vertices and edges, or a few tens of thousands of vertices and edges if you have a lot of patience. But if you have hundreds of thousands of vertices and edges, a different program might serve you better.
  2. Spending two weeks getting a network from Twitter via NodeXL is fraught with peril, and it's not something I can recommend. There are just too many things that can go wrong, from network errors to Twitter server glitches to problems within NodeXL, like the one that occurred here.
-- Tony
May 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM
HI Tony

Here's what I'm trying to do, be interested in your thoughts on any other options.

Business clients want to understand if their Twitter network is aligned against their digital marketing goals and objectives and an analysis of their followers and followed relationships can provide a lot of insights into this question. I started this work about 12 months ago with NodeXL but quickly found that visualization capabilities didn't scale for what I needed - however, the NodeXL file could be exported to graphml and imported into Gephi which will scale to networks of over a million nodes. I've found this approach works fine for Twitter networks of say a few thousand nodes.

The networks I am trying to gather at the moment have around 2K-3K followed and 15K - 20K followers and I'm trying to pull data to 1.5 degrees to allow me to calculate the number of triangles in the network. Now I've found I have to split this into two separate tasks gather the followed first and then the followers and merge the datasets in Gephi, but it seems once the number of nodes gets over about 5K, I'm running into the issues above with the data import.

I did contact GNIP to see if I could purchase the data, but none of the official Twitter data providers are providing the follower\followed relationship data, so as far as I'm aware, NodeXL is the only way to get at this data at present. Do you know of any others?

If NodeXL wrote the data it gathered to a log as it progressed, then this scalability issue might be overcome, and the incomplete file could be loaded and later merged with other files and duplicates removed. Is that something that could be put forward as a suggestion for a future enhancement?

If anyone has any other suggestions of how to get the data for Twitter follower\followed relationships, I'd be very interested in them.

Rgds

Mike