Need download version for use on internal network w/out internet connectivity?

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Need download version for use on internal network w/out internet connectivity?
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:09 PM
The latest version requires an Internet connection, but this slightly-older version can be downloaded and then installed offline:

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases/view/117300

-- Tony
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Tony -

Thanks for the info... I have tried two versions... .322 (16APR14) and .251 (14JAN14) - which is the one you suggested. Both are giving errors when trying to run the "setup.exe" file... I don't see any other way to install it, any ideas...? They error on extracting or "downloading" files... never seems to get to the installer. They seem to work fine on my network w/internet, just not on the internal network.

-- MBennett
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Edited Apr 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM
In the zip folder is a file "do not use this.msi..... ?
Thought I had a bad burn disk, so reburned and the same thing...
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:37 PM
The newest version (1.0.1.322 as of today) definitely won't work offline.

With the older version (1.0.1.251), I forgot that the setup program will attempt to download and install some prerequisites if they are not already installed on the computer. That's probably the error you're seeing.

Do you want to know what the prerequisites are? It might be possible to download them separately and then install everything manually offline. I don't know if that's practical for you, and I haven't tried it myself.

By the way, the older version (1.0.1.251) was a huge support headache for us, because its complex setup program caused problems on too many computers. The newer version is much simpler and has generated far fewer problem reports so far, but it has the disadvantage of requiring an Internet connection to install it.

-- Tony
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Edited Apr 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM
I went a bit further on the install on my internet connected network and that's the idea that I was getting... it looks like visual studio tools for office system 3.0 runtime was installed and it made it to the installer wizard before I stopped it. Gleaned from the programs and features listing... the .251 version...

Wen I run the setup for the current .322 version - the response is "the Microsoft Office Customization was successfully installed". don't need it on this workstation, though. :o(

Thanks for the help.
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:45 PM
DoNotUseThis.msi is a Windows Installer file that will attempt to install NodeXL itself. However, if the computer doesn't already have the prerequisites required by NodeXL, the install will fail.

Setup.exe, which is what you're supposed to use, first checks for the prerequisites and installs them if necessary. It then runs DoNotUseThis.msi to install NodeXL.

I gave the MSI file that nutty name (I'm the NodeXL programmer) because some people were using it directly, which led to many failures.

-- Tony
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Edited Apr 23, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Cool! I'll let my guys know what they're up against.

Thanks Tony.
Apr 24, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Tony,

Any chance there is a list of the SW pre-requisites listed anywhere? Would I be able to load them myself and then run the "donot use.msi" file on my internal network? as a work around the internet connection...

Our pc's (both w/internet and w/out) should all have the same or similar base line configurations... Unless something is hidden or otherwise not transparent, it looks like the only program installed/needed on my pc w/internet connectivity, was visual studio tools for office system 3.0 runtime .. does that make sense?

MBennett
Apr 24, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Yes, that makes sense. And yes, I can tell you about the prerequisites.

Note that I've never tried doing the offline install that you have in mind. I would try this on an unimportant computer in case something goes awry. If it works, please let me know.

1) First, you need Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1. Most newer computers have this already. You can determine whether you have it by following these instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

If you don't have it, you can get "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1 (Full Package)" here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150

2) Next: "Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office system (version 3.0 Runtime) (x86)" It's here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23656

3) Next: "Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System (version 3.0 Runtime) Service Pack 1 (x86)". It's here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1132

4) You also need "Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies", but that's included in the NodeXL setup package. As long as you run Setup.exe (and not DoNotUseThis.msi), the NodeXL installer should be able to install this without an Internet connection.

So if you install 1, 2 and 3 before running Setup.exe, I think Setup.exe should be runnable without an Internet connection. Again, I haven't actually tried this.

-- Tony
Apr 24, 2014 at 5:02 PM
awesome! thanks... those look easy enough...

Q: would a newer version of .NET be a bad thing?
Apr 24, 2014 at 5:04 PM
I forgot to point out that Setup.exe skips over any prerequisites are already installed. It only goes out to the Internet if a prerequisite is missing.

-- Tony
Apr 24, 2014 at 5:10 PM
You can have multiple versions of the .NET Framework--they live happily "side-by-side." But you do specifically need .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

-- Tony