NodeXL tab does not appear

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM
I'm also having the problem with the NodeXL tab not appearing. I am running Mac OX X with Parallels. I have read all of the threads here and have tried everything (unchecking "share Max OS X folders with windows," uninstalling/reinstalling, etc etc) and I cannot get that tab to appear.
Apr 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Did you get any kind of error message when you installed NodeXL or attempted to open a NodeXL workbook after it was installed? Or did it seem to install successfully, and then you simply get an empty workbook (with no message whatsoever) when you attempt to create a NodeXL workbook?

-- Tony
Apr 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM
If there were no error messages that might help us track down the problem, then please try the latest version of NodeXL (called "NodeXL Excel Template 2014"), which you can find here:

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases/view/117659

The older version that I think you were using (version 1.0.1.251) is being retired, due, among other things, to the problems people have had with its setup program. The new version uses a much simpler setup program that we're hoping will minimize such problems, although I can't say for sure if it will fix this one.

Please note that you must uninstall the older version of NodeXL before you install the new one. Instructions for doing so are on the newer version's download page.

-- Tony
Apr 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Hello Tony,

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and removed the older version and installed the new one. But I still have the same issue. No, I do not get any error messages; the program installs easily enough every time. The tab simply does not appear. Any suggestions?

Chris

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Chris:

I don't know what's wrong. When problems arise, there is usually an error message during either installation or when you attempt to start NodeXL, but in your case you're getting nothing. That makes this difficult.

Let me rule out something simple, though: Please tell me how you are attempting to start NodeXL once it has been installed.

-- Tony
Apr 15, 2014 at 5:15 AM
The NodeXL icon no longer appears in the programs menu. I must do a search for it and double click on it to begin the program. I have removed and reinstalled the program multiple times, and each time it opens (once I find it) but does not show the tab. There are no error messages. I cannot install the program without a message popping up that says "Enable local sharing to access file." It is the only way the program will install now.

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:28 AM
Sorry, I can't help with this one. I know that, in general, NodeXL works with Parallels, and in fact I haven't heard of NodeXL/Mac problems in a while, but there is clearly something different about your computer that is interfering with NodeXL. Perhaps other Mac users have some suggestions.

-- Tony
Apr 15, 2014 at 5:30 AM
I'll just shovel out the money for NetMiner again.
Apr 16, 2014 at 4:59 AM
Chris:

I just thought of something. Some people have reported Mac problems that turned out to be due to bad "file associations." That means that their computer was set up to open ".xltx" files in the wrong spreadsheet program. On such a computer, if you attempt to create a NodeXL workbook (which is based on an .xltx file), it will open in the wrong program, there will be no NodeXL tab, and there will be no error message.

If it's not too late, which spreadsheet program opens when you create a NodeXL workbook?

-- Tony
May 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Hello Tony,

I'm having the same issue as Chris. I'm also using Partitions on a Mac. When I open NodeXL, I see the template, but do not have a NodeXL tab. I can enter data, but cannot visualize it. Not quite sure what you meant by NodeXL opening in the wrong spreadsheet program, looks like Excel to me….
Dorothy
May 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Hello, Dorothy:

Is it opening in the version of Excel that you installed on the Windows side of your Mac? That would be Excel 2007, 2010 or 2013. Here is how you can tell which version of Excel was opened:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/what-version-of-office-am-i-using-HA101873769.aspx

My idea was that perhaps it's opening in a version of Excel that was installed on the Mac side instead. That would be Excel 2004, 2008 or 2011.

-- Tony
May 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Thanks, that helped. It's opening in Excel:Mac 2011. Do you happen to have a link to how to fix this?

By the way, thanks! I shouldn't find this as confusing as I do.

Dorothy
May 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Edited May 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Hello, Dorothy:

I'm glad to hear that's what's going on, because it's a problem that can be fixed.

The idea here is that Parallels (and I assume you meant Parallels, although you said "Partitions") gives you the flexibility to open files in either a Mac program or a Windows program. It tries to be smart about its default program choices, but when you have a program like Excel installed twice--once for the Mac and once for Windows--it can make the wrong choice for you and cause the problem you're seeing with NodeXL. You have to educate it about which program you really want it to open.

I don't have a Mac and so I can't step you through this, but I did find instructions here:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22962.htm

You may not have the exact version of Parallels they talk about there, but I suspect the procedure will be similar for whatever version you do have.

You want to change the file associations for the following file types so that they open in the Excel Windows application and not the Excel Mac application:

.xltx
.xlsx

Once you do this, selecting "NodeXL Excel Template" from the Windows Start menu should open a NodeXL workbook in your Windows version of Excel, and you should see a graph pane (called "Document Actions") on the right side of the screen, along with a tab named "NodeXL" in the Excel ribbon.

-- Tony