How to import an excel in NodeXL

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM
I can't import an excel in NodeXL,when I click the From Open WorkBook button, it often shows There are no other open workbook, I don't know what to do next
Apr 2, 2014 at 4:13 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2014 at 4:14 PM
When you use the Import from Open Workbook feature, NodeXL looks for other workbooks that you have already opened in Excel. It won't open other workbooks for you; you have to open them yourself before you use the feature. If you want to import from MyWorkbook.xlsx, for example, you have to first open MyWorkbook.xlsx, then go to NodeXL, Data, Import, From Open Workbook. MyWorkbook.xlsx should then show up in the "Open workbook to import from" list.

Did you open any other Excel workbooks first?

-- Tony
Apr 2, 2014 at 8:25 PM
I had the same problem as ansonkangwei.

I had an excel workbook containing my data open. I went to NodeXL --> Data -->Import -->From Open Workbook. I still got the message "there are no other open workbooks", and can't get any further.

Could it have anything to do with where NodeXL is looking for the open workbook? I wasn't able to tell what directory it was looking in - I tried moving my open workbook to my topmost Documents directory, and still NodeXL wouldn't recognize it.

Any other advice?
Apr 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2014 at 9:33 PM

It wasn't clear to me if ansonkangwei was opening a workbook before using the Import from Open Workbook feature, but in your case there is no question about that.

One thing that can cause NodeXL to fail to detect other open workbooks is if you open different workbook in different instances of Excel. Before I explain, please do the following to help us determine if that's what's going on in your case.

1) Get back to the situation where you have two workbooks open--the one containing data you want to import, and the NodeXL workbook you want to import into.

2) In the Windows Start menu (or Start screen), search for "taskmgr.exe" (without the quotes). You should get one "taskmgr.exe" item in the search results. Select it.

3) In the Windows Task Manager window that pops up, select the "Processes" tab.

4) On the "Processes" tab, click the "Image Name" column header to force the processes to be sorted by name.

5) In the "Image Name" column there should be at least one row with a name that starts with "EXCEL.EXE". How many such rows are there?

-- Tony
Apr 2, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Thanks Tony,

I got back to the situation where I have NodeXL and the excel workbook with my data both open. Just to be sure I tried importing again, and got the same error message. Then, going through the steps you outlined, Task Manager returned 1 row of Excel.exe.

Based on your response, I decided to try with two instances of Excel. I opened by data workbook with a separate Excel process (Task Manager confirmed 2 Excel.exe), with the same error.

Any more ideas?

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Well, there goes my theory of probable cause. I'm going to have to think about this further.

For the record, this feature works properly on every computer I've tried it on. I have to figure out what might be different on yours.

I'll get back to you.

-- Tony
Apr 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM
sigh leave it to me to have it not work.

any possibilty that it could be related to something in the way I downloaded it? I followed the onscreen instructions. I did not, howeve, register my copy. Could that somehow be it?

In the meantime, is there another way to get my data into NODExl?

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM

What version of Excel are you using--2007, 2010 or 2013?

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Excel 2010
Apr 2, 2014 at 11:54 PM
I can assure you that you've done nothing wrong. You downloaded and installed it fine, and you do not have to register it--registration is strictly optional. It's more likely that I made a mistake somewhere (I'm the NodeXL programmer), and for some reason no one reported it until now.

In the meantime, a (tedious) workaround is to copy/paste the columns one-by-one from your workbook to a new NodeXL workbook. For the columns that serve as Vertex 1 and Vertex 2, be sure not to paste over the "Vertex 1" and "Vertex 2" column headers in the NodeXL workbook, because NodeXL needs those special headers. For your other columns, you can paste them at the right edge of the Edges worksheet, starting at cell N2.

And if you can't copy/paste from your workbook to a NodeXL workbook, please let me know, because that might provide me with additional clues.

-- Tony
Apr 3, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Thank you again Tony. Copy-pasting works. Now to see if I can make sense of the data!