Autofill, autodraw

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:30 PM
I work with very large datasets, usually bigger than what is recommended for NodeXL, so I have to find ways to weed my sets before drawing graphs and analyzing. I have taken an approach of running graph metrics before drawing the graph, then using Autofill to set Vertex Visibility for vertices which meet my criteria, which is very helpful in this respect, except that every time I run Autofill it tries to draw the graph when I am finished. I can usually X out the graph before it draws the whole thing, but it generally costs me a couple minutes and I have to frequently restart Excel because drawing the large graph makes memory consumption excessive.

So as a feature request for future versions, I would request that the graph not automatically attempt to draw after changes to visibility (or anything else for that matter), or at least make that an option that the user can select (I am assuming I haven't missed an already existing option). This would make the process of weeding large sets much more efficient, and no real functionality would be lost.
Mar 29, 2014 at 1:14 PM
Please consider setting the graph layout to None prior to calculation and Autofill.

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:27 PM
I just tried it and it's still slowing performance as long as the graph window is open.
Mar 29, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Please try this:

1) Right-click the graph pane and select "Graph Options" from the right-click menu.

2) In the Graph Options dialog box, select the "Other" tab.

3) On the Other tab, uncheck "Automatically refresh the graph after setting a visual property in the Ribbon or autofilling columns."

-- Tony
Mar 30, 2014 at 3:27 AM
Right in front of my face, of course. Thanks!