NodeXL Enterprise Deployment

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:59 PM
I'm attempting to deploy NodeXL via SCCM. My process thus far has been to deploy the two pieces separately. I first silently install VSTOR, then install the template using the "DoNoUseThis.MSI" (ironic, eh?)

I have absolutely no problems doing this locally on a workstation. I install both using their MSIs silently, all installs just fine.

VSTOR installs fine through SCCM. However, when I deploy NodeXL (DoNotUseThis.msi) - I get a 1603, with a specific failure: "CustomAction _AE0E13D9_C687_441D_9819_3FDABBC7F124.install returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)"

I only get that error when pushing the software via SCCM. Running the EXACT same command line locally results in a successful install.

Thoughts? Has anyone else deployed via SCCM? (I would bet GPO deployment might have the same issue.)
Mar 29, 2014 at 3:46 AM
Edited Mar 29, 2014 at 3:47 AM
The file is called "DoNotUseThis.msi" not to be ironic, but to stop you from attempting to use it. It is not supposed to be run directly because that can lead to mysterious installation errors in some situations.

I'm not familiar with SCCM, but is it possible to use it to deploy Setup.exe instead of DoNotUseThis.msi? Setup.exe is the file that you are supposed to run.

-- Tony
Mar 31, 2014 at 5:31 PM
I know it's not named that to be ironic - it was ironic that I was attempting to run it and having problems...

I also know what that MSI is intending to do, and why it is named as such - for 99.9% of the people needing to install this template, they shouldn't/wouldn't want to run that MSI. I, however, am part of the other .1%, and would like to get in touch with the other .1%. If setup.exe can be used to silently install this template, answering the dialogs in the way that I need them to be answered - then by all means, I'll use it. However, short of rebuilding the EXE, which I would rather not do, I have yet to successfully get this to install silently, for everyone, through a deployment tool.

If anyone else is doing an enterprise installation, I'd love to hear from you.
Nov 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM
I'm trying to do an enterprise install - but I noticed it only comes in a click once install. Someone asked me to deploy this to a whole lab of machines.