NodeXL edge visibility

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM
Hi y'all,

I'm using NodeXL to analyze the interlocking boards of directors in my university town, starting with our Foundation Board of Directors (the Foundation raises money for the University) and branching out from there.

I am having trouble narrowing the graph from the hairball effect; rather, I get it narrowed, but I can't display the attributes I want to display. The nodes are shown, but I can't get the other nodes they are connected to to show up. I also can't get the edges between said nodes to show up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Example: "x person" should have a connection to Busey Bank, the University of Illinois Foundation Board and Nike Corporation. Those nodes don't show up, and the connections to those nodes don't show up either. But "x person" does show up, because I've narrowed the graph using dynamic filters. (Specifically, I filtered by the number of out-degree connections)
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in the NodeXL project!

Could it be that the vertices you do not see lack any out-degree? Perhaps filtering by another value would be more appropriate?

You can manually turn vertices on and off. You can either right-click a vertex (or a selected set of vertices) and select Edit selected vertex properties or edit the "Visibility" column of the vertices worksheet (which is hidden by default, select NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns>Visual Properties). Any vertex with a "0" in the visibility column will not be shown in the network graph display.

You may also want to upload you network to the NodeXL Graph Gallery to share it with the community. We can get a better understanding of your data that way.

Regards,

Marc
Mar 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Hi Marc,

I think you're right; the vertices I don't see do not have any out-degree (which would make sense because they are not people). What value would you filter by? And even if I kept the same out-degree filter, could I manually turn the other vertices on, and can I manually turn the edge visibility on, too?

https://nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Graph.aspx?graphID=17504

Thanks again.
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Here is a reformatted version of your network:

http://nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Graph.aspx?graphID=17506

Try turning selected vertices on and off (or turn whole groups on and off from the Groups worksheet).

Edges can be turned on and off individually as well.

Regards,

Marc
Mar 6, 2014 at 6:52 PM
It's so beautiful...I have a lot to learn. xD
Mar 6, 2014 at 7:30 PM
When I calculate group metrics, I don't get 22 groups, I only see four. What could I be doing wrong?
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Which group clustering algorithm did you use?
Mar 9, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Not the right one. Now it's working the same.

For this part-"The edge colors are based on edge weight values. The edge widths are based on edge weight values. The edge opacities are based on edge weight values. The vertex sizes are based on betweenness centrality values. The vertex opacities are based on betweenness centrality values."

Did you use Excel formulas or is there a tool in NodeXL that can do this?

In addition, how did you get the groups to separate into those boxes (lightly outlined in gray) on the graph you posed on the gallery?

You have been a tremendous help; thank you, Marc.
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2014 at 2:08 AM
The NodeXL>Graph>Summary feature allows you to copy the graph description to the clipboard.

Groups can be laid out in their own boxes using the NodeXL>Layout Options dialog:

Thanks for using NodeXL!

Marc
Mar 9, 2014 at 2:50 AM
Ok. All of this has been great and helpful in many ways, but I'm still curious about the original question.

We want to make it so that we can see all of the nodes and edges for a specified criteria; I want to see all edges and nodes for those edges for one specific node. Let's take Phyllis Wise again as an example; she's got connections to UIFB, Nike and Busey. When I specify that I want to see nodes with an out-degree of 3 and sort them using the gray box at the column header, I see Phyllis and her edges are labeled, but the other nodes aren't. I think it's because they do not have an out-degree of 3, as we initially discovered.

So my question for you I guess is how I can make this graph look the way I want it to look by using a formula instead of manually hiding each node or edge. We want to be able to put this up online for people to play with, eventually, if that is possible.
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2014 at 6:01 PM
You may want to contact me directly so we can talk through your goals.

You can email me through the site with your address. I can schedule a time to chat. Have any time this coming week?

Regards,l

Marc