Medical Choose Your Own Adventure

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:30 PM
First time user; so I apologize for my naivety about this program.
I am looking at medical "choose your own adventure" patient cases. People can make choices on what they would do next given a set of circumstances: ie; Given this person has pain, what would you do next?
I would like to compare the paths taken by different people, how they got from point A to point Z. Either by showing a thickening of the edges(corresponding to more people choosing that route), or an increase in the size of a vertex?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Feb 26, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Just to add a little more clarification: Can edge weight or vertex size be a function of an increased number of connections (the more repeat connections = thicker edge line)?
I noticed a similar post from a few years back and was wondering if this is an option now? Or if there is a way around this

Thanks
Feb 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2014 at 4:24 PM
I don't know how to do that for edges, but here is how you can do it for vertex size:
  1. In the Excel ribbon, go to NodeXL, Analysis, Graph Metrics.
  2. In the Graph Metrics dialog box, check "Vertex degree" and click "Calculate". (I'm assuming that your graph is undirected. You can adjust this procedure if it's actually directed. The graph's directedness is set via NodeXL, Graph, Type.) This adds a "Degree" column to the Vertices worksheet.
  3. Go to NodeXL, Visual Properties, Autofill Columns.
  4. In the Autofill Columns dialog box, select the Vertices tab.
  5. On the Vertices tab, set the "source column" for "Vertex Size" to "Degree" and click Autofill. This fills in the "Size" column on the Vertices worksheet with sizes that are proportional to the "Degree" values.
  6. Show your graph. The size of each vertex in the graph pane will be proportional to the vertex's degree.
-- Tony