Problem running Group by Cluster Clausel-Newman-Moore algorithm

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM
An unexpected problem occurred. If it occurs again, please copy the details to the clipboard by typing Ctrl-C, then post the details to[IOException]: A problem occurred while calling the executable that calculates SNAP graph metrics. Details: This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information. at Smrf.NodeXL.Algorithms.GraphMetricCalculatorBase.CalculateSnapGraphMetrics(IGraph oGraph, SnapGraphMetrics eSnapGraphMetrics, List1 oGroups) at Smrf.NodeXL.Algorithms.GraphMetricCalculatorBase.CalculateSnapGraphMetrics(IGraph oGraph, SnapGraphMetrics eSnapGraphMetrics) at Smrf.NodeXL.Algorithms.ClusterCalculator.TryCalculateClustersSnap(IGraph oGraph, SnapGraphMetrics eSnapGraphMetric, BackgroundWorker oBackgroundWorker, ICollection1& oGraphMetrics) at Smrf.NodeXL.Algorithms.ClusterCalculator.TryCalculateGraphMetrics(IGraph graph, BackgroundWorker backgroundWorker, ICollection`1& graphMetrics) at Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.ClusterCalculator2.TryCalculateGraphMetrics(IGraph graph, CalculateGraphMetricsContext calculateGraphMetricsContext, GraphMetricColumn[]& graphMetricColumns) at Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.GraphMetricCalculationManager.CalculateGraphMetricsAsyncInternal(CalculateGraphMetricsAsyncArgs oCalculateGraphMetricsAsyncArgs, BackgroundWorker oBackgroundWorker, DoWorkEventArgs oDoWorkEventArgs) at Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.GraphMetricCalculationManager.BackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
Feb 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM
This can occur if you attempt to group the vertices in a very large graph and your computer doesn't have enough memory to do that. How many edges and vertices does the graph have?

If this is indeed a very large graph, then there are a few things you can do to try to fix the problem, starting with easiest first:

1) Close all programs, including Excel, then run only NodeXL again. That might free up enough memory to do the grouping.

2) Restart your computer, then run only NodeXL again.

3) If you are using VMWare or Parallels on a Mac, tell VMWare or Parallels to assign more memory to the Windows virtual computer.

4) Install more memory in your computer.

-- Tony
Feb 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Thanks for the response, Tony! It is a large dataset - 260k edges, 69k vertices. I have done #1 and #2 of what you suggested. I was successful using the Wakita-Tsurumi algorithm instead of the Clausel-Newman-Moore algorithm. I was particularly psyched to be able to generate a graph using the Fruchterman-Reingold layout - though I had to run it overnight. FYI, the Harel-Koren layout crashed my computer (64-bit, 6GB RAM). I have ordered more memory (to 16GB RAM). I am also trying to whittle down the dataset - outside of NodeXL - to a more meaningful/manageable size. I sure appreciate your assistance.

Feb 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM
Hello, Shaila:

You are definitely in large-graph territory here! I'll give you my boilerplate advice to people with large graphs: NodeXL is optimized for small-to-medium-sized graphs, up to several thousand vertices and edges. People have used it for larger graphs, but it requires a lot of patience and you can quickly run into roadblocks, such as the memory limitations you are seeing.

I know--I'm too late in your case, and you are obviously a patient person anyway. The 16GB might help, and it certainly won't hurt. But there is one more thing I must point out,: If you are using the 32-bit version of Excel, which most people use even if they have a 64-bit computer, you could still run out of memory. That's because 32-bit Excel can't use more than 2GB of memory, even if your computer has 16GB. The fix for that is to install 64-bit Excel, which can use all the memory your computer can give it.

-- Tony
Feb 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Thanks again for the detailed response, Tony. I am running 64-bit Excel. I am able to run most analyses/graphs with sufficient time. What confuses me though is the one thing I am unable to run is the "Overall graph metrics." That always crashes Excel. That should be the least computationally-intensive routines. So I am befuddled as to why that would be the thing that crashes Excel.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Overall graph metrics includes a bunch of metrics, not all of which are trivial. Also, NodeXL fires up a second program to calculate some of those metrics (you can't see that second program because it has no window), and so two programs now need a lot of memory for a brief period. I think that's what's going on.

-- Tony
May 12, 2014 at 8:17 PM
I have a very small graph and I get the same error.