Edge worksheet can't generate the relation between edges

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:59 AM
Hi nodeXL user. i have a problem with using nodexl when trying to import from twitter user networks. My problem is, when i am click OK and then the nodeXL seems crawled. And then, after that, the window import from twitter network close (it is indicate the crawl process done) but the nodeXL not generate the relation between edges so the edges worksheet still empty. i relly need your help

Here is my system
  1. Windows 8 (i also tried with Windows XP)
  2. NodeXL_1.0.1.251.zip (i also tried with another version)
  3. Microsoft Excel 2010 (i also tried with Excel 2010)
And here is my setting for import from twitter usrs network :
  1. username : fathulnurul
  2. Add vertex for each : BOTH (i also tried with other setting)
  3. Add an edge for each : Mentions (i also tried with other setting)
  4. Levels to include : 1.5 (i also tried with other setting)
  5. No limit (i also tried with other setting)
  6. No add a latest tweet colomn
  7. Chekc in I have a twitter account (i also tried with other setting)
But still, nodexl not generate the relation between edges
Please answer my question
Feb 9, 2014 at 7:02 AM
i forgot one thing, nodexl still can generate the vertices worksheet
Feb 9, 2014 at 6:25 PM
I just tried your settings, except that I set "limit to" to 10 to avoid having to wait a long time. I ended up with eighteen vertices and one edge. The one edge was between zardiannisa and shelbymarsa, because zardiannisa mentioned shelbymarsa in her latest tweet. That tweet was on February 3, so I would have expected you to see that edge also.

There were no other edges, because no one else in that group of eighteen people mentioned anyone else in the group in their latest tweets.

Please try it again with the same settings, except set "limit to" to 10. Are you sure you're not getting at least one edge?

-- Tony
Feb 10, 2014 at 4:54 AM
Me too, I can't crawl the mention and the replay data, but I can crawl the following/followed data,
please help us, :)
Feb 10, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2014 at 1:54 AM
There might be a misunderstanding here. In the Import from Twitter User's Network, you will not get an edge for every reply-to and every mention. Here is what actually happens.

NodeXL adds a vertex for each person followed by (or following) the specified user. For example, if the specified user is John and John is followed by Nancy and Bill, then you'll get three vertices: John, Nancy and Bill.

If you check "Add an edge for each replies-to relationship in latest tweet", NodeXL looks at the latest tweets from John, Nancy and Bill. If John's latest tweet is a reply to Nancy, then there will be an edge for that, because Nancy is part of the network. But if John's latest tweet is a reply to Harry, then there will be no edge, because Harry is not part of the network. The same thing is true of mentions.

-- Tony