Jan 23, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM
NodeXL Excel Template 2014 can directly import graph data from a variety of sources, including other Excel workbooks, UCINET files, Pajek files, and GraphML files. It can also work with third-party importers that can "plug into" NodeXL and import
graph data from other sources. The
Social Network Importer for NodeXL
, for example, is a popular graph data importer.
Here is what you need to do to use a third-party graph data importer with NodeXL Excel Template 2014:
- Download the third-party graph data importer. You can put it in any folder on your computer.
- If the download is a Zip file, unzip the file. You can do this easily in Windows Explorer by right-clicking the Zip file and selecting "Extract All" from the right-click menu.
- In NodeXL Excel Template 2014, go to NodeXL, Data, Import, Import Options in the Excel ribbon.
- In the Import Data Options dialog box, use the "Browse" button to fill in the "Folder containing third-party graph data importers" box.
- Close and then reopen NodeXL Excel Template 2014.
- In the Excel ribbon, go to NodeXL, Data, Import. The third-party graph data importer will appear on the Import menu.
- If you use additional third-party graph data importers, put them all in the same folder you specified in step 4.
- Things worked differently in earlier versions of the NodeXL Excel Template, where you had to put third-party graph data importer files in a special folder. (On newer English-language computers, the special folder was "C:\Program Files (x86)\Social
Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template\PlugIns".) That folder no longer exists.
- If you upgrade from an older version of NodeXL Excel Template to
NodeXL Excel Template 2014, any third-party graph data importers that you were using before will have to be downloaded again and put in a folder of your choice, as described above.
I am working on Excel2016 and NodeXL Basic,
and in import option the dialog box does not allow to select a folder for third party, (it's dark gray, like not active)
I am trying to use the social network importer, to get data from facebook,
is this not possible anymore?
Jan 9 at 4:49 PM
using third-party importers is no longer available in NodeXL Basic. Third-party importers and a lot of other advanced features are moved to NodeXL Pro. For more information read the following post