Genetic algorithm to eliminate/dramatically reduce edge intersections.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:22 PM
I have created a program in VB that does this.  I would like this feature in NodeXL.  If anyone is interested in the code so that they can implement it in NodeXL let me know.  None of the network display algorithms produce a satisfactory network layout in my view as there are still many nodes crossing that can easily be unpicked by hand.  The GA method is far more successful.
Mar 24, 2009 at 5:21 PM
Anrew:

Can you point me to an academic paper or Web article outlining the genetic layout algorithm you're referring to?

Thanks,
    Tony
Mar 25, 2009 at 9:18 AM
Hi Tony

I am not sure if there is a paper on it as I have not seen it done anywhere before.  I can point you in the direction of some articles on genetic algorithms if you would like.  If you know how genetic algorithms work I can explain how the network layout algorithm works in my software.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Andrew

2009/3/24 tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com>

Anrew:

Can you point me to an academic paper or Web article outlining the genetic layout algorithm you're referring to?

Thanks,
    Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:29 AM
Actually this looks quite hopeful:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/3myad0ylwqljnp5r/

2009/3/24 tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com>

Anrew:

Thanks,
    Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com