unhandled exception

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Hi, I have a number of NodeXL worksheets in which I've created graphs and saved them, but when I reopen the worksheets and click "refresh graph" I get this error message:

An unhandled exception occurred in your application

An unspecified error occurred on the render thread.

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidOperationException: An unspecified error occurred on the render thread.
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyPartitionIsZombie(Int32 failureCode)
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyChannelMessage()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
Jan 6, 2014 at 2:03 AM
This is a problem in Microsoft's Windows Presentation Framework, which NodeXL uses to draw graphs. The problem is described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967634

...and you can supposedly fix it by installing this "Hotfix" from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2667241

-- Tony
Jan 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Any idea why this would pop up suddenly? I didn’t change anything and am still using the same install version of NodeXL

--------------

Wesley Bernardini, Ph.D., RPA
Associate Professor and Chair
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology
University of Redlands
1200 E. Colton Ave.
Redlands, CA 92373
(909) 748-8707

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM
If nothing changed between the time it worked and the time it stopped working--if there were no automatic Windows updates, no video driver updates, no system updates "pushed" to your computer by your IT department, and no changes in your own NodeXL workflow--then that would be very odd indeed. Is it possible that you're doing something different in NodeXL that you weren't doing before?

In any case, from what I've read this seems to be a Microsoft problem (I searched for "NotifyPartitionIsZombie", a very unusual word for an error message) and Microsoft has provided a fix. I would suggest applying the fix to see if that indeed fixes the problem.

-- Tony
Jan 7, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Hi Tony – I rebooted the computer and it worked again, but after opening and closing a bunch of nodexl windows I’m getting the error again. I assume rebooting will work again, but it seems to be maybe to do with the number of nodexl windows open, or … maybe my computer is the problem

--------------

University of Redlands
1200 E. Colton Ave.
Redlands, CA 92373
(909) 748-8707

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:12 PM
The bug that Microsoft describes has to do with the rendering of graphics, so it could very well depend on the number of windows that are open. On your particular computer, it may take multiple NodeXL windows to trigger the bug.

That argues for installing Microsoft's "hotfix" to try to fix the problem.

-- Tony
Jan 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I tried to download the fix but their tech support interface kept crashing on me. Figures!

--------------

University of Redlands
1200 E. Colton Ave.
Redlands, CA 92373
(909) 748-8707