Using NodeXL to graph clusters of infectious disease

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Hi everyone, I'm somewhat new to using NodeXL so I apologize if this has already been answered. I work in public health and I would like to use nodeXL to created a visual representation of cases/contacts in outbreak investigations, but all the preset graphs don't do a great job of clearly depicting transmission chains. Right now, I'm just doing a lot of manual tweaking by locking nodes in place and arranging them in a way that suitable for our purposes. We're looking for something that looks like the graph at this link: Image.

I think that image was created using orgnet's InFlow 3.1 program. We haven't been able to get anything looking like that out of the provided algorithms without a considerable amount of tweaking on our part. The biggest problem that we have is that since there's a pretty large number of multiply named contacts make the provided algorithms less than useful (although this might also be user error on our part). I was wondering if anyone has any tips they'd like to share?
Coordinator
Dec 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM
One possible way we could help is if you uploaded a simple sample (anonymous) dataset to the NodeXL Graph Gallery. This is possible via NodeXL>Data>Export>NodeXL Graph Gallery. It does not have to be pretty! We can then download it, try to make it look as best we can and upload a different version which will also contain the "recipe" for the data process NodeXL used to get that result.
-- Marc