Bimodal - how to set up?

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I'm just getting started and apologize for the newbie question (but I'm working hard!):
  • I have a bimodal data set with two types of vertices: people & projects.
  • Each project can have several people connected to it
  • Projects are not connected to each other (except via common people).
How do I set up the (vertices) so that the projects are graphically different than the people, and not confuse the two?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for such a basic question!
Dec 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I'm not sure that NodeXL is particularly well suited for 2-mode data, but if I were you I would show the difference between types of nodes by shape, depicting people as circles and projects as squares.

Hope that helps,
Dec 9, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Edited Dec 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM
It is true that NodeXL lacks features for modal transformation (converting a two mode to one mode network).

Further, the interpretation of many network metrics are of questionable value when calculated for a bi-modal network.

However, NodeXL does provide support for dealing with groups of nodes, in this case two groups of nodes. You can use NodeXL to assign vertices to one or more exclusive groups. You can layout the two type of nodes in segregated regions using the "Group-in-a-box" feature. Nodes in different groups can have distinctive shapes, sizes, colors, or images.

So, bi-modal network can be supported, in part, via NodeXL.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Thank you two for your responses. It seems that the best way to go is to differentiate by shape. And I will look into the metrics.