VErtices not showing

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:41 AM
Hi, I entered all my data on the Edge page but it is not showing on the vertices page..any suggestions? Thank you
Nov 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Hi again, I read the help page and the book and still do not know how to solve this problem. \I've entered several sets of data manually and this is the first time it happens to me--help? Thanks.
Nov 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Which version of Office are you using, and which version of Windows? I ask because we have a known bug that has affected some people who use Office 2013. Nothing happens when they click the Show Graph button. Does that describe your situation?

-- Tony
Nov 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I'm using Office 2013. The graph shows OK, no problem there. The issue was with the vertices worksheet not filling out properly after I manually entered my data on the edge worksheet. I found that if I copy all my edge-worksheet data into a new N-XL page it works. SO that issue is solved. Now I have another issue with the vertices worksheet, as I'm trying to enter some simple attribute data and it is not showing in a consistent way. For example, the colours I entered are not showing on the graph! Any suggestions?
Nov 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Sorry, one more thing. I'm working with a unusual network where a lot of the interactions where undirected (where the whole point of creating this forum was to help people interact directly) so I want the graphs to show the vertices that stand alone. According to the book, I should enter the names of these vertices on the vertex worksheet. I did but it is not showing on the graph either. Many thanks for your help.
Coordinator
Nov 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.

A vertex with no connections to others can be represented as an edge that is a "self-loop" - it originates and terminates in the same vertex. Put the same vertex name in the column for Vertex1 and Vertex2 in the Edges worksheet to create a "self-loop".

It is possible to simply add a vertex (with no edge) to the Vertices worksheet, however, a vertex entered into the vertices worksheet (which has no edge in the Edges worksheet) is by default not shown. To override this setting, change the Vertex Visibility attribute in the Vertices worksheet to "Show" (rather than "Show if in an edge" which is the default). This can be done directly through the Vertices worksheet by manually changing the contents of the Visibility column. Note that this column is by default hidden, so you can reveal it via the NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook columns menu item.

An alternative approach is to use the Autofill Columns feature in the NodeXL menu. Select the Vertex tab and look for Vertex Visibility. Set this so that it contains "Show".

Vertex Color is similarly set in the Vertices worksheet in the hidden Vertex Color column in the "Visual Properties" group.

If you are also applying "Groups" to the network, you may need to also change the default setting in the NodeXL>Analysis>Groups>Group Options menu item. Here you can control which shape and color attributes are dominant. A vertex can use the color and shape of its group or use the color and shape assigned specifically to it.

Regards,

Marc

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:32 AM
Thank you so much for the prompt reply Marc. The self-loop option solves my first issue, thanks. But I think my explanation of the color issue was not clear. I actually can see the color option on the vertex worksheet and I can select colors...it's just that it's not showing on the graph??
Nov 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Did you group the graph's vertices using one of the items on the NodeXL, Analysis, Groups menu? If so, please see the last paragraph of Marc's reply.

-- Tony