Opening Excel file without NodeXL addon

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I have installed NodeXL on my machines, have populated the template, have a beautiful graph.
I now want to share my file with my colleagues, but I don't want to burden them with installing NodeXL.

Is it possible to do so?

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Consider exporting to the NodeXL Graph Gallery.

See NodeXL>Data>Export>To NodeXL Graph Gallery

OR, consider exporting to email.

See NodeXL>Data>Export>To Email (requires configuration with your email server credentials).

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:03 AM
Thanks Marc!
Do you know perhaps why exporting to email requires I configure my email server..?

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:27 AM
NodeXL needs to be configured just like any other email client in order to send a message through your email service.

You do not need to configure your email server. You will need to configure NodeXL with the name, port, userID, and password for your email. Once set, NodeXL will send emails as you (potentially to you).

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Thanks Marc. Do you know what the difference is between this and simply using the "Send" feature in Excel..?
I still don't get why I need to input my email credentials into NodeXL.. Seems like using the Excel feature makes more sense.
Problem with using the Excel feature, is that the recipient of the email cannot use the attachment if they don't have NodeXL installed.

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Send does a similar job - it just may be that it has already been configured with your email credentials.

Excel's Send will just create an email attachment: NodeXL's export to email will create an image and report as well as attach the file.

Sent from my iPhone