edge color

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:13 PM
I would like to color edges by an attribute of Vertex 1 (my vertices are towns, each of which has an attribute of a 'region'). How can I use Autofill Columns to populate my Edges table with attributes from the Vertices table? When I try to use Autofill Columns the only dropdown available for Edge Color is "Reciprocated?". Thanks!
Wes
Oct 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Wes:

You can create a Vertex 1 Region column on the Edges worksheet, fill it in using an Excel VLOOKUP formula, and then autofill the Edges Color column using the Vertex 1 Region column. Try this:

1) Add a column to your Edges worksheet. Call it "Vertex 1 Region".

2) Make sure the new column is formatted as "General".

3) In the first empty cell of the Vertex 1 Region column, enter the following Excel formula, replacing the "999" with the column number of the Region column of the Vertices worksheet.

=VLOOKUP(Edges[[#This Row],[Vertex 1]], Vertices, 999, FALSE)

If the Region column is twentieth column, for example, replace "999" with "20". Determining the column number can be tricky, because NodeXL hides some columns that you'll unknowingly skip if you just count columns on the screen. You can get the exact column number by temporarily entering "=COLUMN()" into one of the cells of the Region column. (There may be a better way to determine column numbers, but this is what I use.)

4) Go to NodeXL, Visual Properties, Autofill Columns.

5) In the Autofill Columns dialog box, select "Vertex 1 Region" for "Edge Color", click the Options button for Edge Color, and select Edge Color Options from the menu.

6) In the Edge Color Options dialog box, specify "The source column's values are Categories."

-- Tony