Twitter search to return ONLY geotagged tweets

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I'm trying to do a Twitter search with a particular hashtag and only return tweets that contain the hashtag AND have a lat long associated with them.

I know I could do a standard keyword search, then sort by coordinates and delete anything without a lat long. However, if I did that, I feel that I would be limiting my results greatly. Instead, I would like to exclude anything without a lat long within my search criteria.

I know I can do this with the language field, like to return only English tweets by using #governmentshutdown lang:en. So I imagine it would be something like #governmentshutdown coordinates:"not blank"

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Oct 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Curtis:

No, I don't know of a way to exclude tweets that have no coordinates.

This isn't what you asked for, but apparently you can ask for tweets near a given coordinate pair. Here is the Twitter documentation for the geocode option:
"Returns tweets by users located within a given radius of the given latitude/longitude. The location is preferentially taking from the Geotagging API, but will fall back to their Twitter profile. The parameter value is specified by "latitude,longitude,radius", where radius units must be specified as either "mi" (miles) or "km" (kilometers). Note that you cannot use the near operator via the API to geocode arbitrary locations; however you can use this geocode parameter to search near geocodes directly. A maximum of 1,000 distinct "sub-regions" will be considered when using the radius modifier."
And here is a sample search term to enter in the Import from Twitter Search Network dialog box:
NodeXL geocode:37.781157,-122.398720,10mi
-- Tony