Sociagram (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Marc,

I work for the Department of the Army and we are looking for something that we can use to quickly determine who the stakeholders are on any given topic. For example, if we are putting together a work group on military support to civilian authorities during a crisis like disaster relief, we want to be able to find out who we need to include on that work group based on data they or we input that identifies them as the lead for that issue in their organization. If this does that, I’m sold.

v/r

Ron Pruyt

Military Analyst

Center for Army Lessons Learned

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Ron,
Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.
Social network analysis is one way to find people who occupy key positions in networks.
NodeXL is a simple to use tool for non-programmers who need to access, analyze, visualize, and share insights into connected structures.
So long as NodeXL is fed data in one of several network file formats, it can quickly generate a range of basic network metrics, create a visualization, and generate an automated report.
Have a look at the data sets uploaded to the http://nodexlgraphgallery.org for samples.
You may also want to check with Jill Powell from your organization, we just discussed the possible application of NodeXL to your use case.
Regards,
--Marc
Sep 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM
ronpruyt wrote:
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED Caveats: NONE Marc, I work for the Department of the Army and we are looking for something that we can use to quickly determine who the stakeholders are on any given topic. For example, if we are putting together a work group on military support to civilian authorities during a crisis like disaster relief, we want to be able to find out who we need to include on that work group based on data they or we input that identifies them as the lead for that issue in their organization. If this does that, I’m sold. v/r Ron Pruyt Military Analyst Center for Army Lessons Learned 913.684.6824 Classification: UNCLASSIFIED Caveats: NONE
Ron ... it sounds like what you need is an affinity map based on overlapping profiles. We have done this in NodeXL but the conversion on what is called 2 to 1 mode i.e. identifying connections between people indirectly through overlapping profiles...in your case topic leads I don't believe can be done out of the box in NodeXL yet. We use our own macro programs to do this...otherwise you can export the data to UCINET and do it there.