NodeXL not responding - "Import->From Twitter User's Network"

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I am trying to import follower lists from specific twitter handles. Every time I fill out the desired info and try and launch the "Import from Twitter User's Network" page, the NodeXL template says "Not Responding".

What is causing this? Will authorizing my own Twitter account with NodeXL change this?
Coordinator
Aug 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Hello!

Sine June 7, 2013, Twitter has changed it access rules for its API. API 1.0 has been retired and API 1.1 replaces it.

The main impact is the removal of access to the "Followers" edge.

See: http://www.connectedaction.net/2013/06/11/over-the-edge-twitter-api-1-1-makes-follows-edges-hard-to-get/

I recommend using the "Twitter Search Network Importer" rather than the List or User importers. The List and User importers focus on accessing the "followers" edges and no longer are practical to use given Twitters new restrictions. We have debated removing these importers to avoid confusion, but some users have the patience and need to get the data. We do plan to revise these importers in future to adapt (as best as possible) to the new rules.

Regards,

Marc
Coordinator
Aug 31, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Also:

NodeXL has been updated to adapt to the latest version of the Twitter API, so you may want to upgrade to the latest version.

Regards,

Marc
Sep 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Hi Marc-

First off, thank you very much for answering the question I posted to the NodeXL forum. I believe I have the most updated version of NodeXL (I only downloaded the program about a week ago). I have since tried the “Twitter Search Network Importer” and I’m not having much luck on that end either. Below is a screenshot of what happens when I try to import from Twitter.

Do you have any advice to fix this problem? I really appreciate your assistance!

Thank you very much.

Nick Curran

Thomson Reuters

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM
The error image did not come through.

Please email me directly at marc at smrfoundation dot org.
Regards,

Marc
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Marc-

Thanks for the call. Below are a few other topics I would like to graph.

Herbalife

Bill Ackman

George Soros

Detroit Bankruptcy

Syria

Congress

Microsoft (MSFT just bought Nokia)

Microsoft/Nokia

Thanks,

Nick