Failure to open in excel 2010 from program launch

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Can anyone help with the following. I cannot get Nodexl to launch in excel 2010. The 2010 start screen is displayed, followed by a blank (grey) excel sheet and then nothing. Nodexl has never worked on this machine.

I am running the latest version of nodexl.

Thanks
Aug 23, 2013 at 5:15 AM
If I understand your situation, there is no trace of NodeXL in your Excel window--no graph pane on the right side of the window, and no "NodeXL" tab in the Excel ribbon.

Please tell me the following:
  1. How are you opening NodeXL? The correct way is to search for "NodeXL" in the Windows start menu (or start screen on Windows 8), and then select "NodeXL Excel Template" from the search results.
  2. Does any kind of message pop up when you open NodeXL?
  3. Did any kind of error message pop up when you installed NodeXL by running its Setup program?
-- Tony
Aug 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM
tcap479 wrote:
If I understand your situation, there is no trace of NodeXL in your Excel window--no graph pane on the right side of the window, and no "NodeXL" tab in the Excel ribbon.

Please tell me the following:
  1. How are you opening NodeXL? The correct way is to search for "NodeXL" in the Windows start menu (or start screen on Windows 8), and then select "NodeXL Excel Template" from the search results.
  2. Does any kind of message pop up when you open NodeXL?
  3. Did any kind of error message pop up when you installed NodeXL by running its Setup program?
-- Tony
Hi Tony and thanks for your reply
  • I am opening NodeXL as you suggest.
  • There is no message at any stage
  • There was no error message during the setup program
It just seems as though the opening script is stalling

Regards
Dan
Aug 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Dan:

Is this a work computer managed by an IT department? We've had some cases where administrators have "locked down" a computer in such a way that NodeXL is prevented from running. Usually an error message pops up when you attempt to open NodeXL on such a computer, but I remember one case similar to yours where nothing happened at all.

-- Tony
Aug 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Hi Tony,

No the computer is not managed by the IT department. I am at a loss.

Regards
Dan Naylor
Aug 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Dan:

Please try this:
  1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to NodeXL's program folder. On English computers, it's at "C:\Program Files\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template".
  2. Double-click the file called Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto.
What is the message you get when you double-click the file?

-- Tony
Aug 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Hi Tony,

I give that at try. I'm not at that computer at the moment but I'll let you know what message I get. Thanks for your help

Regards
Dan
Aug 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Hi Tony,

Further to your latest reply, I have done as you suggested. After Double Clicking the Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto I get the following message:

"The latest version of this customisation is already installed"

Thanks
Dan
Aug 28, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Dan:

Something in Excel is preventing NodeXL from loading properly when you open the NodeXL template file. (When you select "NodeXL Excel Template" from the Windows start menu, you are opening the NodeXL template file.) I don't know what it is, but one thing you might try is to start Excel in what's called "safe mode," and then open the NodeXL template file while in safe mode. In safe mode, Excel skips a bunch of startup steps, one of which may be causing the problem.

Safe mode is described in "Work with Office safe modes" at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/work-with-office-safe-modes-HP010354300.aspx, but you can cut to the chase by following these steps:
  1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.
  2. Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click Microsoft Office Excel 2010. (I think that's the name you'll see.)
  3. In Excel, manually open the NodeXL template file, which is called NodeXLGraph.xltx. It might appear in your list of recently used files, or you can find it in either "C:\Program Files\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template", assuming you have an English computer.
Does that change anything?

-- Tony