uninstall current version, install 1.0.1.113 for use with textbook

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I'm going to use the text "Analyzing Social Media Networks ..." in my class in the fall. The text recommends installing NodeXL_1.0.1.113. How do I uninstall the version I currently have installed? Or is it possible for the same user to have two versions running?
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Hello!

While using the version described in the book is sensible, I suggest that you consider using the latest version despite the significant differences between the book (v.113) and the current state of the project (v.245).

First, several features now longer work in v.113, particularly those related to data access to social media network sources (like Twitter). These services have changed their interfaces significantly over the years and we have kept up with them in updated releases. But the older versions no longer work against the current APIs.

Second, improvements and added features make using NodeXL easier now than it was in v.113. Consider the use of features like NodeXL Options files (which allow a single best set of settings to be shared among all students), which may motivate you to adopt the latest versions.

Third, significant documentation for later features are available in the help files and on my blog at http://connectedaction.net

Regards,

Marc
Aug 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM
It's not possible to have two versions running on the same computer.

If you already have a later version installed, either keep using it or upgrade to the latest version, as Marc suggested.

You do not have to uninstall an older version before you install a newer version. That will happen automatically.

-- Tony
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM
But if you do want to install the older version, I think you will need to uninstall the current version and then install the older v.113 version.

-- Marc
Aug 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Thank you for all responses. I will go with the later version (245), but it would still be useful to know how to uninstall the current version if I'd like to install an older one.
Aug 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM
That's correct.

If you go backward--from version 148 to 113, for example--then you need to manually uninstall 148 first.

If you go forward--from 113 to 148, for example--then you do not need to manually uninstall 113 first. Installing 148 will automatically replace 113.

-- Tony
Aug 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM
OK, I just go through the control panel. Thank you, I'm all set.