Do I need 4 vertices?

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:41 AM
I’m completely new at NodeXL and newsforums.

I’m trying to visualize a process of finding jobs via the ‘small world model’.
I introduce ‘jobseekers’ from [agencies/unemployed] to [companies/employees]. So, unemployed are introduced to employees, but it would be useful if drawings should visualize from which agencies/ companies these unemployed/ employees belonged to.
What do I need to do:
1. Create a matrix.
2. Create 4 vertices? [Acencies(1)/ unemployed(2)] and [companies(3)/employees(3)?
Thanks,
Hartogh
Jan 27, 2009 at 4:47 AM
Could you clarify your question?

This is what I think you mean.

You have 4 types of nodes:  agencies, unemployed, employees, and companies.

This would be easy to enter into NodeXL.  First, make pairs of agencies and the unemployed.

Agency1    Unemployed1
Agency2    Unemployed2
Agency1    Unemployed3

and so forth to tie each unemployed individual to a representing agency.

The same process can be used to tie Employees to Companies, Agencies to Companies, Unemployed to Employees, or any other combination of node types

To visualize the resultant network effectively, assign colors, shapes, and/or labels to the nodes as a function of their type using the Node worksheet.

Is this helpful, or have I misunderstood your problem?

Eric Gleave
Jan 27, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Dear Mr. Gleave,

Thank you very much! When I came to office, nothing more encouraging than finding your mail with an answer.

In The Netherlands, 80% of the unemployed are finding jobs via ‘informal networks’. Only 20% are ‘hunting’ via these roads. Estimations are that given an number of 200.000 unemployment, there should be 1 million jobs out there, but only traceable via informal networks. In practice I already exercise the ‘small world model’, which says that you can find a job in six steps, but you have to navigate effectively and accurate through these social circles (six degrees of society).

Government (who is paying me) asks me (in an audit on Thirsday, but don’t mind) to visualize this way of working.

Now I have piles of documentation ranging from Pajek, UCinet, Netminer with different file formats, drawing software…very confusing for a quick introdruction in the study of drawing network.

This is what I came up with:

1. An unemployed is an actor who finds himself in the task of navigating through circles of networks.

2. The actor/ unemployed (‘member’ of an agency) can be introduced to an employee, working in a company or can be introduced to another unemployed (Agency).

Very important: a measure of effectively networking is the degree of capability to make progress from one degree (circle) of a persons network to the next:

In NodeXL this process must be visualized:

The process:

Unemloyed1.a (from agency1) is introdruced in companyA with employeeA.1 (first degree). (low strength of edge/link). Employee A.1 cannot offer a job, but directs unemployed to employee A.2 (of another department). This A.2 sees no opportunities in companyA but knows there maybe chances in company B. He knows employee B.3 and with a warm reference (mediate strength of edge/link) he introduces the unemployed to B.3. This person B.3 finally(!) directs the unemployed to Company C where employee.3. offers him a job/ labor contract! (Powerfull strength).

So, and by now I’m completely messed up:

1. Do I need ‘multiple Matrices’ (for different social relations) or will a property for an edge/ link do?

2. Is this a ‘2-mode matrix’  (or a 1-mode matrix)?

3. Can I (must I) see the unemployed as dependent variable and employees as independent: is this what they mean by ‘case-by-variable matrix’ or ‘item-by use matrix (which I don’t understand).

4. There is a sequential order (also in tme, which I can visualize in Pajek, also in NodeXL?). Thinking in line with the ‘small world model’ an unemployed should maneuver through maximum of six degrees to stumble upon an job opportunity. So format=ranklist1? Or ranklist2?

5. There is a value of strength of a link.

So, (finally) I come up with this:

From UCINET: Instead of specifying a list of alters for each ego, the edgelist formats specify each link (or cell of a matrix) individually. Two edgelist formats are available: edgelist1 and edgelist2. The first is used for square, 1-mode matrices such as networks or proximities. The second format is used for rectangular, 2-mode matrices such as a case-by-variable matrix (?) or an item-by-use matrix (?). Both formats are able to accept character data.

The edgelist1 format consists of a list of edges (i.e. links) followed optionally by their values, as shown in this example:

dl n = 4 format = edgelist1

labels:

Unemployed1.a,employeeA.1, employeeA.2,emloyeeB.3,employeeC.3

data:

1 4 2

In the example, data says that UnemployedA.1 is connected to employeeB.3 with a tie-strength of 2. The adjacency matrix generated from this input data should look like this?:

Unemployed1.a,employeeA.1, employeeA.2,employeeB.3,employeeC.3

Unemployed1.a   0               1      2           2

employeeA.1      1                0      1           1

employeeA.2      1                0      0

employeeB.3     0               10.3    0           0

employeeC.3

Can I use this example from UCINET and implement this in NodeXL?

I would appreciate your (final) help on this. Yesterday I ordered some workbooks on social networks. For now I heva to do with the available documents on the Internet and …help!

Some last questions:

1. We communicate directly now. Should we not communicate with the newsgroup (so others can benefit as well)? I never visited a usersgroup.

2. Would you like to be informed of the final ‘product’?

3. How is labor market functioning in your country? Some parallels (I’m looking for ways to emigrate and escape this in some ways ‘narrow minded’ Holland.

Henk Smith

Smith2nomia.nl

Van: egleave [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Verzonden: dinsdag 27 januari 2009 6:48
Aan: smith@nomia.nl
O
nderwerp: Re: Do I need 4 vertices? [NodeXL:45337]

You have 4 types of nodes: agencies, unemployed, employees, and companies.

This would be easy to enter into NodeXL. First, make pairs of agencies and the unemployed.

Agency1 Unemployed1
Agency2 Unemployed2
Agency1 Unemployed3

The same process can be used to tie Employees to Companies, Agencies to Companies, Unemployed to Employees, or any other combination of node types

To visualize the resultant network effectively, assign colors, shapes, and/or labels to the nodes as a function of their type using the Node worksheet.

Eric Gleave

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Dear Mr. Gleave,

Please disregard my last mail. My main problem concentrates I think of choosing a format:

· The rankedlist formats or

· The edgelist formats

I hope I clarify my question with this mail?

Dear Mr. Gleave,

Thank you very much! When I came to office, nothing more encouraging than finding your mail with an answer.

In The Netherlands, 80% of the unemployed are finding jobs via ‘informal networks’. Only 20% are ‘hunting’ via these roads. Estimations are that given an number of 200.000 unemployment, there should be 1 million jobs out there, but only traceable via informal networks. In practice I already exercise the ‘small world model’, which says that you can find a job in six steps, but you have to navigate effectively and accurate through these social circles (six degrees of society).

Government (who is paying me) asks me (in an audit on Thirsday, but don’t mind) to visualize this way of working.

Now I have piles of documentation ranging from Pajek, UCinet, Netminer with different file formats, drawing software…very confusing for a quick introdruction in the study of drawing network.

This is what I came up with:

1. An unemployed is an actor who finds himself in the task of navigating through circles of networks.

2. The actor/ unemployed (‘member’ of an agency) can be introduced to an employee, working in a company or can be introduced to another unemployed (Agency).

Very important: a measure of effectively networking is the degree of capability to make progress from one degree (circle) of a persons network to the next:

In NodeXL this process must be visualized:

The process:

Unemloyed1.a (from agency1) is introdruced in companyA with employeeA.1 (first degree). (low strength of edge/link). Employee A.1 cannot offer a job, but directs unemployed to employee A.2 (of another department). This A.2 sees no opportunities in companyA but knows there maybe chances in company B. He knows employee B.3 and with a warm reference (mediate strength of edge/link) he introduces the unemployed to B.3. This person B.3 finally(!) directs the unemployed to Company C where employee.3. offers him a job/ labor contract! (Powerfull strength).

So, and by now I’m completely messed up:

1. Do I need ‘multiple Matrices’ (for different social relations) or will a property for an edge/ link do?

2. Is this a ‘2-mode matrix’ (or a 1-mode matrix)?

3. Can I (must I) see the unemployed as dependent variable and employees as independent: is this what they mean by ‘case-by-variable matrix’ or ‘item-by use matrix (which I don’t understand).

4. There is a sequential order (also in tme, which I can visualize in Pajek, also in NodeXL?). Thinking in line with the ‘small world model’ an unemployed should maneuver through maximum of six degrees to stumble upon an job opportunity. So format=ranklist1? Or ranklist2?

5. There is a value of strength of a link.

I crash on these two possibilities:

I. The rankedlist formats are a simple variation on the nodelist formats that assume that the nodes attached to a given node have been entered in a meaningful order. The program then assigns tie strengths based on the ordering. For example, consider this file:

dl n = 4, format = rankedlist1

labels embedded

data:

sanders  skvoretz s.smith

skvoretz  sanders s.smith t.smith

s.smith  sanders skvoretz

t.smith  skvoretz

If we look at the first line after the Data statement ("sanders  skvoretz s.smith"), This says that for actor Sanders, the actor Skvoretz is ranked 1st, and the actor S.Smith is ranked 2nd. Actors not listed at all are assigned zeros by default, unless the phrase "recodena = no" appears in the dl language above the Data statement, in which case missing values are supplied instead. The result of reading the file above is the following matrix:

Sanders

Skvoretz

S.Smith

T.Smith

Sanders

Skvoretz

S.Smith

T.Smith

Or am I dealing with 2-mode data: Just like the case of nodelists, there is also a rankedlist2 that is used for 2-mode data:

dl nr=3, nc=4 format = nodelist2

row labels embedded

column labels embedded

data:

benny sex_roles, stats

ginny aging, intro

sally stats, intro, aging

In this case, the line "benny sex_roles, stats" would assign a 1 to sex_roles and a 2 to stats, for the benny row of the matrix.

II. From UCINET: Instead of specifying a list of alters for each ego, the edgelist formats specify each link (or cell of a matrix) individually. Two edgelist formats are available: edgelist1 and edgelist2. The first is used for square, 1-mode matrices such as networks or proximities. The second format is used for rectangular, 2-mode matrices such as a case-by-variable matrix (?) or an item-by-use matrix (?). Both formats are able to accept character data.

The edgelist1 format consists of a list of edges (i.e. links) followed optionally by their values, as shown in this example:

dl n = 4 format = edgelist1

labels:

Unemployed1.a,employeeA.1, employeeA.2,emloyeeB.3,employeeC.3

data:

1 4 2

In the example, data says that UnemployedA.1 is connected to employeeB.3 with a tie-strength of 2. The adjacency matrix generated from this input data should look like this?:

Unemployed1.a,employeeA.1, employeeA.2,employeeB.3,employeeC.3

Unemployed1.a 0 1 2 2

employeeA.1 1 0 1 1

employeeA.2 1 0 0

employeeB.3 0 10.3 0 0

employeeC.3

So, it looks like I have to combine The rankedlist formats and edgelist formats. For me it seems when I use rankedlist I lose opportunity of weighting edges/ links. Ehen I use edgelist I cannot rank?

I would appreciate your (final) help on this. Yesterday I ordered some workbooks on social networks. For now I heva to do with the available documents on the Internet and …help!

Some last questions:

1. We communicate directly now. Should we not communicate with the newsgroup (so others can benefit as well)? I never visited a usersgroup.

2. Would you like to be informed of the final ‘product’?

3. How is labor market functioning in your country? Some parallels (I’m looking for ways to emigrate and escape this in some ways ‘narrow minded’ Holland.

Henk Smith

Smith2nomia.nl

Verzonden: dinsdag 27 januari 2009 6:48
O
nderwerp: Re: Do I need 4 vertices? [NodeXL:45337]

You have 4 types of nodes: agencies, unemployed, employees, and companies.

This would be easy to enter into NodeXL. First, make pairs of agencies and the unemployed.

Agency1 Unemployed1
Agency2 Unemployed2
Agency1 Unemployed3

Eric Gleave

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:20 PM
It sounds like you're having problems with other software packages and the way they handle data.  Luckily, NodeXL is more straightforward and more flexible.

Your relationships are multi-modal, but this isn't important for NodeXL.  If Agencies can have links to other Agencies and to Firms without Unemployed or Employed serving as intermediaries, then Agencies and Firms should be treated as nodes.  If only individuals (employees, unemployed) can interact, then membership in Agencies or Firms might best be included as a Node attribute.  You can add columns to the Node worksheet to include Agency and Firm memberships and use these in visualizations to control the color, shape, size, and/or label applied to nodes.

At present, NodeXL does not use matrices.  The question is not, then, the best data matrix to store your data but just how you want to represent it.  It could be useful to have a node for each agency, to show how central and connected individual agencies are, or you could possibly get the same visual information from a graph where the nodes from a particular agency are all the same color.  Each Vertex1:Vertex2 pair on the edgelist worksheet represents a relationship between those nodes, whatever type of relationship that may be.

It sounds like you have a temporal aspect to your problem.  An individual (unemployed) must meet several others and be introduced to several others in order to finally find a job.  If your data (whether actual, simulated, or stylized) includes time in any way, NodeXL can use this information to help in your visualization.  When working with the graph pane, use dynamic filters to select what range of the time variable you want to visualize.  By moving this range forward through time or expanding it, you can create graphs of the network as it expands, as more unemployed individuals potentially find opportunities from employees.

Eric Gleave
Jan 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Dear Eric Gleave,

Sounds great! Especially the graph pane will give the exact visualization I need. This graph pane is build in NodeXL? Or do I need to install some other Excel ‘plug-in?

Tomorrow I will implement your suggestions and will experiment (trial and error). Thanks so far.

Henk Smith

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:20 PM
Glad to hear we're making progress with your problem.

No further plugins are necessary.  Just enter your data into a NodeXL template using the Edges and Vertices worksheets.  If the graph pane is not visible, you can make it appear (or disappear) by clicking the "Show/Hide Graph Pane" button no the NodeXL menu ribbon.  On the upper right of that panel is a "Read Workbook" button which will create your graph based on the values you have entered on the Edges and Vertices worksheets.

If this works out, please post any images you can back to the forum discussion thread for visualizations.  It would be good to have a multi-mode example for other users to see.

Eric Gleave
Jan 28, 2009 at 1:02 AM

I will inform you of the results.

Tomorrow I will setup the whole thing. Because time differences, the temporal aspect . You wrote: “use dynamic filters to select what range of the time variable you want to visualize. By moving this range forward through time or expanding it”. For me this is Chinese(!?).

Contracts for helping unemployed to a job lasts for 2 years. So: I divide this period in segments of like 8 units (every unit=3 months). I picture this:

T1=3months

T2=6 months

-

T8=24 months, but extra time is possible.

Should I add a new column, like this?

Or should I work like this?

Vertex 1

Vertex 2

Time

Vertex 1

Vertex 2

Vertex 3

Vertex 4

Time

Agencie1

Unemployed1.a

Agencie1

Unemployed1.a

CompanyA

EmployeeA.1

Unemployed1.b

Unemployed1.b

EmployeeA.2

CompanyA

EmployeeA.1

EmployeeA.2

You say: 

1. At present, NodeXL does not use matrices. But the example in the attached file “Matrix NodeXL Jobhunting” is a matrix in NodeXL?

2. The question is not, then, the best data matrix to store your data but just how you want to represent it. This is a picture I have in mind:

cid:image002.png@01C9801F.63337CF0

Is NodeXl a NET development machine? Because then I can use this: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Microsoft%20Research/Visualization%20Components/BubbleChart/Latest/Documents/Overview/Overview.htm

Thanks,

You hear from me tomorrow in the evening (local time).

Henk Smith

Verzonden: dinsdag 27 januari 2009 23:21
Onderwerp: Re: Do I need 4 vertices? [NodeXL:45337]

Glad to hear we're making progress with your problem.

No further plugins are necessary. Just enter your data into a NodeXL template using the Edges and Vertices worksheets. If the graph pane is not visible, you can make it appear (or disappear) by clicking the "Show/Hide Graph Pane" button no the NodeXL menu ribbon. On the upper right of that panel is a "Read Workbook" button which will create your graph based on the values you have entered on the Edges and Vertices worksheets.

If this works out, please post any images you can back to the forum discussion thread for visualizations. It would be good to have a multi-mode example for other users to see.

Eric Gleave

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.